Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front Parking Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Parking Lights Not Working

I just bought a 98 Discovery 1 LSE and I'm tracing down all of the issues with it. The problem that i'm working on now is that the front parking lights and side markers don't turn on. The signal works, and when i lock the doors the markers and parking lights flash, so i'm at a loss.

I tried reading through the RAVE wiring diagrams, but i can't comprehend that.

Any ideas on what it could be...or how to figure out where the disconnect is?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are talking about the front corner amber lights next to the head lights, those are NOT running lights, they are turn signals only.
Your running lights are inside the headlight housing, they are called "city lights", there is a separate bulb that comes on when you have the running lights on but not the headlights.
If they do not come on your "city" bulb is burnt out.
As for the side markers in the front bumper, corroded wiring, the bulbs are exposed to road grim and stuff.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought the same thing when we got ours. Like Spike said the lenses by the headlamps are only signals. As for the markers in the bumper, ours were burnt out as well. We had to install new sockets and bulbs and that solved the problem. Make sure the o ring on the bulb socket is intact as well. They like to dry rot and fall off which lets in a ton of water.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM
8th Gear

thank you very much for the replies...you saved me a lot of time and frustration.

I don't have a front bumper....which now would explain why i don't have lights. My city light does work in the driver-side headlight...so hopefully when i get a bumper, i'll have lights.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The front bumper has NOTHING to do with any lights working or not.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the fixtures in my front plastic airdam had actually melted. All the front plastic is long gone on mine.

The running boards self removed on my first off road trip.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
The front bumper has NOTHING to do with any lights working or not.
Spike - I may have misunderstood one of your previous posts. You mentioned some marker lights in the bumper. Since i don't have a bumper (and these lights don't exist) they don't come on.

Do these marker lights in the bumper illuminate when the rest of the "parking lights" are turned on?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see pix - front running light is the small hole. No running lights in my front bumper.

Attached Thumbnails Front Parking Lights Not Working-head-light.jpg   Front Parking Lights Not Working-p1120289.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for posting the pictures Buzz.

So there are no yellow or orange lights up front that come on with the parking lights?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BE CAREFUL WHEN MISSING WITH THE LITTLE LIGHTS IN THE BUMPER. I hooked mine up and suddenly blew 3 fuses! I didn't have any interior lights, and no tail lights. Just headlights. It scared the hell out of me, thinking I created a monster. I believe it was two 10 amp and one 20 amp fuse. I know they were both in the drivers side foot well. I would check fuses first, and if you must have them, then consider yourself playing with dynamite when it comes to hooking these ups.

Quick Reply: Front Parking Lights Not Working