Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel issues....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issues....

Two weekes ago I received a 98 Disco I that served by twin brother flawlessly for almost 7 years. My relationship isn't starting out as well. But I'm hooked. I feel like a badass in the DISCO. Jeep guys dream about owning a Rover. My problem is with fuel delivery. It died the other day after driving and heating up. Let it sit overnight and it fired right up. I tested the fuel pressure and initially it was fine. The longer it ran, the more it dropped then finally died. I replaced the fuel pump, strainer, and in line filter. It ran like a champ for the next day. Tonight the same thing happened. I was driving and it died. Exactly like before. Any thoughts, or troubleshooting help would be awesome.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

What kind of PSI reading do you get at the schrader valve on the fuel rail (battery side)? Should be in 32-34 range. When you say the more it dropped, you actually made several tests of the fuel PSI? Or did engine just run worse and worse?

Fuel pressure regulator is on opposite side, near fire wall. Has vac line attached, sometimes regulator, sometimes cracked vac line.

Fuel pump relay or related wires (bad connection)?

Then there is the VSS gremlin. The vehicle speed switch is back on the transfer case, it tells the ECU how fast you are going. Speedometer is buffered, so signals are "smoothed" and it may display normal. But an erratic one can make ECU believe you are going downhill on the Autobahn with throttle jammed and need to slow down, so it shuts down sparks to cylinders. But this would happen without impact on fuel PSI.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
What kind of PSI reading do you get at the schrader valve on the fuel rail (battery side)? Should be in 32-34 range. When you say the more it dropped, you actually made several tests of the fuel PSI? Or did engine just run worse and worse?

Fuel pressure regulator is on opposite side, near fire wall. Has vac line attached, sometimes regulator, sometimes cracked vac line.

Fuel pump relay or related wires (bad connection)?

Then there is the VSS gremlin. The vehicle speed switch is back on the transfer case, it tells the ECU how fast you are going. Speedometer is buffered, so signals are "smoothed" and it may display normal. But an erratic one can make ECU believe you are going downhill on the Autobahn with throttle jammed and need to slow down, so it shuts down sparks to cylinders. But this would happen without impact on fuel PSI.

The VSS gremlin you speak of applies to me as well. It is an intermittent problem that hasn't ever been diagnosed. But my pressure was 36 ish at cold start up. Rechecked at roughly 10 minute intervals and I didn't take not of the readings, just realized they were dropping each time. Low 20's was the last read before engine died. After that series of testing, was when I changed the pump and filter. I don't necessarily want to throw parts at it, but I might get lucky. Anything old that I replace new, well I'll chalk it up as preventative maintenance.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Most common issue would be the fuel pump, but you replaced it.
So next would be the fuel pump relay and the fuel pressure regulator.
The VSS has nothing to do with this issue.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
Most common issue would be the fuel pump, but you replaced it.
So next would be the fuel pump relay and the fuel pressure regulator.
The VSS has nothing to do with this issue.

This morning absolutely no fuel pressure. Can't hear the pump at all when the key is on. I'm hoping it's the relay but there is confusion to me as to which relay it is. On the passenger side I've pulled the kick panel plastic which revealed multiple relays. 3 are yellow relay/yellow plugin 1 is green/green 1 black relay/ red plug in.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The low 20's PSI before engine died certainly rules out the VSS, that gremlin does pop up when driving, but not at idle, etc.

The relay pix is attached. Color of relay can change, if people swapped it out before. Color of wire harness less likely to change. RAVE says relay will have these colors of wire:

Purple & White
Purple & green
White & orange
white & purple
blue & purple

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D1 fuel pump relay.pdf (784.7 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Because JCSNGL10 is having trouble posting a picture of the relays, I posting this for him:

Name:  IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  54.6 KB

Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The low 20's PSI before engine died certainly rules out the VSS, that gremlin does pop up when driving, but not at idle, etc.

The relay pix is attached. Color of relay can change, if people swapped it out before. Color of wire harness less likely to change. RAVE says relay will have these colors of wire:

Purple & White
Purple & green
White & orange
white & purple
blue & purple
The wire color combo youve listed from the Rave, I simply cant find them. Ive looked hard. I am downloading the Rave and hopefully that will help. My brother posted a picture for me and maybe you can take a look and point out what relay you think it may be. I appreciate all the help you guys are giving. Soon Ill be able to return the favor, I hope

Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you need to know what something looks like it helps if you know what you are supposed to be looking for.

Relay - Fuel Pump - Multifunction | Land Rover Electrical Parts, Batteries, Relays, Lamps & More

It is under the hood, passenger fender.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you need to know what something looks like it helps if you know what you are supposed to be looking for.

Relay - Fuel Pump - Multifunction | Land Rover Electrical Parts, Batteries, Relays, Lamps & More

It is under the hood, passenger fender.
I understand that the blind leading the blind is bad news. Im sure the old timers get sick of helping out the newbies. I'm almost certain I found what I need. With the help of the RAVE. It was where you say. Mounted on the side of something. It's got two different connections on it. It's close to wallet size.

Quick Reply: Fuel issues....