Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line Replacement

I was under my discovery this morning to see about the transfer case shifter being seized and noticed a drip off of the frame rail. It appears that the line on top of the frame rail about a foot forward of the fuel filter is spraying fuel. I traced the line until it went into the engine bay, hoping it was a short section I could replace.

Where is the other end of the line connect?
Does it go all the way up to a fuel regulator or fuel rail?
Can you get a replacement section of fuel line prebent?
What's the replacement procedure? I'm sure there is some work to feed it up through the engine bay if it is a single piece.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 PM
4wd Low

To follow up, I looked at it tonight and browsed RAVE. Looks like it's the first 2 feet or so of hard line out of the fuel filter on the pressure line.

Is the pressure line 3/8"?
What kind of fitting is on the fuel filter? I see that alot of GM's used the same filter in the 80's and early 90's.
Does anyone make the pump to filter line?

I'm working from these diagrams to get an understanding of the system.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Line Replacement-fuel-diagram-discovery-1.png   Fuel Line Replacement-fuel-diagram-discovery-2.jpg   Fuel Line Replacement-fuel-diagram-discovery-3.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

For the pump to filter I'd just grab a length of fuel line and use barb or compression fittings. Don't waste your time or money searching for some Rover specific line.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by fishEH
For the pump to filter I'd just grab a length of fuel line and use barb or compression fittings. Don't waste your time or money searching for some Rover specific line.
What kind of union is there on the fuel pump?
Can that be accessed through the floor panel?

I'm thinking of replacing the fuel filter while I'm there and the connections at the filter are crusty. I don't hold out much hope for them coming apart cleanly. If I can get a replacement of the fitting at the pump, or reuse it, I have no problems running fuel injector rated fuel line between the pump and the filter with a barb threaded nipple.

It looks like I only have about a foot of bad feed line, so I may splice into the rest that is good using a flaring tool.

Thanks for the info, you don't happen to know what size the feed line is or what the specs on the fittings at the fuel filter are, do you?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

The '96 has screw on fittings at the pump where the later year D1's had push to connect. To can access the fuel pump through a cargo area floor.
The nipples on the fuel pump are 5/16" diameter I believe. I'd get a 5/16" compression to b-a-r-b-e-d fitting for the pump end.
For the filter end get a generic fuel filter with push on nipples. Atlantic British even makes a kit for the fuel filter because the stock screwed fittings are so bad.
Fuel Filter Maintenance Service Kit - Land Rover gas filters from Atlantic British

Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Any line and clamps you use be sure they say fuel injection

It is a off the shelf GM filter with threaded end

If the ends are seized you can cut the filter out with a small tube cutter and get replacements from a junk yard like I did and splice em in with above line and clamps, or there is the same GM filter with quick connect barbs that would probly work spliced in with hose

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info guys. I was talking to PT Schramm on facebook yesterday and he said that there is a b_a_r_b_e_d fittings on the stock LR fuel filter if you carefully cut the threaded collar off. It also looks like a fuel filter for say a 99 Mercury Grand Marquis will work.

Tom, I had planned on using fuel line clamps and not standard band hose clamps.

Is this the OE setup for the fuel filter? It looked like the hard line was crimped on to the rubber line from the fuel filter forward of the filter.
Fuel Filter (Genuine Part # STC1677 ) - Land Rover gas filters from Atlantic British

Thanks for all of your help. This seems like it will be less expensive and a PITA than I thought.

Last edited by dagr8tim; 06-23-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

That kit just comes with what I was saying to do so probly easier

Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by TOM R
That kit just comes with what I was saying to do so probly easier
I'm sure I can source the parts cheaper. But atleast now I have a good visual of what to grab to make it work.