Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel pressure situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pressure situation

Hey guys I've been dealing with an issue for a while and decided try to get it straitened out. A while back I attempted to change out the fuel pump, long story short I was gonna change just the pump and keep the assembly but the pump had different electrical connections and I wasn't gonna splice wires in my gas tank, so the old one went back in. Since then my truck won't start when warm til the third try cranking it. Here are the numbers 38 psi when pump primes, nothing after pump stops after prime, just over 30 while running. From what I know these numbers are good but it should hold pressure after the prime correct? I haven't found any external leaks so I'm thinking I damaged the hose between the actual pump and the fitting at the top of the fuel pump assembly. If this is the case what kind of hose should I use to replace it, I dont have cash for a whole new unit, and I dont see the point cause I seems it's producing enough pressure. Thanks guys.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Agree that it should hold pressure, but that could be leaks elsewhere as well. If you do the switch on, count two mississippi, off, and repeat three times does that make enough PSI to crank? At one or two tries you should eb up to that 30 PSI range.

Also, hot restart is impacted by the fuel temp sensor, which changes the width of the pulse to the injectors (keeps them open longer) to get rid of bubbles in the fuel.
And then there is always the ignition amp module....

Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea if I prime it a few times it is more likely to start first try but not nessisarily, also when its cold it starts easier not always first try either. I'm suspect the line cause it started after puttingthe pump back in.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

When was the fuel filter last changed, what is the pressure after sitting over night before priming the pump?
You may also have plugged up injectors for the liner on the inside of the rail flaking off and plugging the screens.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench

The filter should be fine it is a couple years old but I had the tank replaced before it, but I'm getting pressure and it runs fine just doesn't hold pressure.