Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel Pump Fuse Keeps Blowing - Gas gauge shows above full

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you trace the wires from the pump until the disappear into the body? I had about five wires in that bundle which were damaged - the purple wire with white tracer was so bad that only a few strands of copper were still connected. My gas gauge needle would at one time be on completely empty and fuel light on, and other times would be past full.

Once I repaired all the wires, problem went away. This was just behind the driver's side wheel well about 3-4" past where the wire bundle comes out from the floor.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am telling you, these bundles are crap.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still having a hard time finding where the problem is...

Jimmy, did you have to remove any wiring from the protective cover (black plastic thingy) to find where yours was exposed? What had caused it?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

My money is on a dead tired fuel pump pulling more amps then the fuse can handle.
Replace the pump and make this problem go away. Also, consider using an AirTex pump from Advanced for a better/cheaper replacement.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Three Wheeling

FWIW our rover came with a bad pump that was less than 2 y.o. As a mtter of fact it ran before the guy brought it to the house..
At any rate. THE p.o. got a new pump delivered to me, I tested it prior to replacing. The green black wire was bad in the harness... What I did was cut the connector off an use high quality sta-con connectors ( female) to replace it.. Things been running like a top ever since ( knock on wood)
The harness is available through NAPA, Federated. Or do what I did.. But check it as it could save you a few bills..

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Mudding

Well I think the problem is in the fuel pump harness. I also have a small hole in the fuel tank. How difficult is it to replace the fuel tank?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy
Did you trace the wires from the pump until the disappear into the body? I had about five wires in that bundle which were damaged - the purple wire with white tracer was so bad that only a few strands of copper were still connected. My gas gauge needle would at one time be on completely empty and fuel light on, and other times would be past full.

Once I repaired all the wires, problem went away. This was just behind the driver's side wheel well about 3-4" past where the wire bundle comes out from the floor.
Noted....

Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrickman
I am still having a hard time finding where the problem is...

Jimmy, did you have to remove any wiring from the protective cover (black plastic thingy) to find where yours was exposed? What had caused it?
Sorry Matt! I missed this post.

My black plastic thingy was already missing for a good 16" or more from where the wires come out of the body and head towards the tank. So, the wires were just hanging out there. IIRC there was even some black wire harness wrap around those wires which had all but fallen off.

If I had to guess on what caused it, it was from being exposed (no black plastic wire loom to cover/protect it) and the tire kicked up garbage which impacted the wires hard enough to damage them (or something smacked it just right while offroading and did the damage). Don't think it was from heat from the exhaust, but I'd have to stick my head up under there again to see how close the exhaust is from the wiring.