Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

fuel pump relay clicking....no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump relay clicking....no start

1995 Discovery 1. Went to start it and will turn over but not start. Meanwhile there is a constant clicking from what i believe to be the fuel pump relay. Any suggestions to a quick fix to get the truck home?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Try swapping pump relay with another relay of the same PN. Occasionally simply removing and re-seating a relay will get it working.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Overlanding

tried that.... no luck

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995D1
tried that.... no luck
And still clicking? Are you certain that's the one clicking?

If pump relay is problem only other simple way would be to jumper the power to pump relay sockets. Wiring manual indicates those would be #s 30 & 87 if relay is so marked.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Try swapping pump relay with another relay of the same PN. Occasionally simply removing and re-seating a relay will get it working.
who the hell carries around and extra fuel relay with them??? Other than me🤓

Old 02-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tracker1996
who the hell carries around and extra fuel relay with them??? Other than me🤓
Who's the "troll" now?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Overlanding

yes its the one clicking. I can pop the hood and pull the injector fuse and the clicking stops. while it is clicking you can go to the back of the truck and put your hand on fuel pump and feel it pulsing with the clicking. I have a feeling if i bypass the relay then the pump will just stay on. Im thinking that its some sort of fuel pressure switch or something like that causing the issue??? its not the relay itself it is fine. Its whatever is feeding the relay to tell it to click on or off. Truck ran fine on the way to work. got in it after a few hours to grab lunch and it started the clicking, hit the rocker panel with my fist clicking stopped and truck fired right up. go to burger king kill the truck go in and eat come back out and as soon as i hit the ignition switch it goes to clicking. You can feel the injectors pulsating when it clicks. so its the relay that controls them.......i dont know im lost lol

Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I hand this happen to me once...ended up being the connection at the fuel pump itself (inside the take) . Pulled the pump and the connection (the one that plugs directly into the pump) was freeking melted (o**** I said to myself) I was parked inside my garage...true story! Didn't want to touch anything, even with the battery disconnected, took me a minute to consider my options... Might be a place to start. Pull up the carpet in the boot to gain access. And be sure to disconnect battery before starting. Number9 does the rave give this as an example for trouble shooting fuel supply issues i.e. Check for melted wiring in the mf fuel tank? Just thought I would ask

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Overlanding

i replaced fuel pump and wiring about 8 months ago. im getting plenty pressure and sometimes the clicking will slow when it does the truck will crank. its just running super rich. the motor is rebuilt with less than 5k miles. when i pulled motor and rebuilt i replaced a bunch of the really "great land rover wiring." whatever relay this is, it seems to be controlled by fuel pressure or maybe rpm's via fuel injector pulse or visa versa......hope all this makes sense.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tracker1996
I hand this happen to me once...ended up being the connection at the fuel pump itself (inside the take) . Pulled the pump and the connection (the one that plugs directly into the pump) was freeking melted (o**** I said to myself) I was parked inside my garage...true story! Didn't want to touch anything, even with the battery disconnected, took me a minute to consider my options... Might be a place to start. Pull up the carpet in the boot to gain access. And be sure to disconnect battery before starting. Number9 does the rave give this as an example for trouble shooting fuel supply issues i.e. Check for melted wiring in the mf fuel tank? Just thought I would ask

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

By the way mine was doing the same thing almost 2weeks prior stop wouldn't start. I found that cycling the key 5/6 times would get it going but, after what I found in my garage... I would not recommend doing so until I checked the fuel pump harness but, I understand being stuck out and just wanting to get home. Be safe!

Quick Reply: fuel pump relay clicking....no start