Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

fuel pump relay clicking....no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Its whatever is feeding the relay to tell it to click on or off.
The fuel pump relay module is energized by the ECM which in turn
operates the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system.
Wiring print shows ECM providing gnd for control circuit of relay.

Any suggestions to a quick fix to get the truck home?
If you just want to get home one choice is to jump relay so pump stays running.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995D1
i replaced fuel pump and wiring about 8 months ago. im getting plenty pressure and sometimes the clicking will slow when it does the truck will crank. its just running super rich. the motor is rebuilt with less than 5k miles. when i pulled motor and rebuilt i replaced a bunch of the really "great land rover wiring." whatever relay this is, it seems to be controlled by fuel pressure or maybe rpm's via fuel injector pulse or visa versa......hope all this makes sense.
By cycling key I meant turn on a leave it for 8 seconds and turn back off, repeat 6 or 8 times and the try starting it. Reason being that if it's a pressure issue it gives the pump a chance to "catch up" . Even if you replaced pump 8 months ago, if you run down to empty a lot it can or will ruin your pump. Not to say that's what has happened but, only you would know. As for trying to trouble shoot wiring at McDonald's I would opt for calling in a friendly favor and having someone tow me home. If cycling the key doesn't work and you definitely hear the fuel pump running I would suggest a new fuel filter or pressure regulator.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995D1
yes its the one clicking. I can pop the hood and pull the injector fuse and the clicking stops. while it is clicking you can go to the back of the truck and put your hand on fuel pump and feel it pulsing with the clicking. I have a feeling if i bypass the relay then the pump will just stay on. Im thinking that its some sort of fuel pressure switch or something like that causing the issue??? its not the relay itself it is fine. Its whatever is feeding the relay to tell it to click on or off. Truck ran fine on the way to work. got in it after a few hours to grab lunch and it started the clicking, hit the rocker panel with my fist clicking stopped and truck fired right up. go to burger king kill the truck go in and eat come back out and as soon as i hit the ignition switch it goes to clicking. You can feel the injectors pulsating when it clicks. so its the relay that controls them.......i dont know im lost lol
How do you know you have fuel pressure? Just because you feel the injectors pulsating doesn't necessarily mean they have fuel moving through them. If you're hearing the fuel pump run for a time, when you turn the key and you can feel injection working, the only things it could be are empty tank, filter or pressure regulator or all of the above at the same time. Not trying to be funny but it kinda would be for them all to crap out together. Hope you can get home in it! Goodnight

Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have pressure shooting a three foot stream from my fuel rail. while relay is clicking these things are happening, fuel pump cycles with clicking, injectors open and close with clicking, evap canister opens and shuts.

sometimes clicking will slow. when this happens the truck will crank but just floods itself out. truck has plenty of fuel in tank.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

have you checked for spark ?, are the cap /rotor/ wires/ and plugs ok ?

Old 02-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Overlanding

bypassed fuel pump relay and then lost spark.....im lost lol

Old 02-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Your on a Rovah forum, we're all lost...... So you have a 95 3.9 right?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Overlanding

yes its a 3.9...motor is fresh with less than 4000 miles on it.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

No sparky is coil so check those connections and also the pick-up amps on these motors don't like heat a whole lot and they fail. Cap and rotor must be Lucas otherwise you'll be chasing your problem for a long time. There is a really good troubleshooting section in the Rave on the distributor system, try it out. Doesn't always catch the fault but it sure helps rule them out.