Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel Pump Relay energized when off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates

I'm still working on the relays and ground issues. Making small headway, mainly because working in the snow/rain doesn't really appeal...

So far I've gotten rid of some of the indicator lights, but the trailer light still stays on, albeit only when the disco is running, unlike before when it was on all the time. I think it's sound advice to reposition all the grounds now that I've cleaned up a significant amount of the wiring.

Oh, and it's not just the fuel pump relay I'm hearing but the cooling fan as well. It looks like the two big culprits are the ground points at E100 and E109. I'll be working on cleaning those up next and see where that leaves me.

Question: some of the grounds are on the body, others to the frame. If I reposition those under the hood, is there a preference of one over the other? After working on unibody cars most of the time, I'm curious.

Note to self - get a garage that's heated and has a garage door big enough to fit the disco with the safari rack...on the plus side I actually have room to move around and space to work unlike the Audi.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need a taller than average garage door and possibly a slightly taller garage as well. Mine wont fit. I know one guy who has to air down his tires and reinflate when he pulls out to garage his.

I would think that somewhere there is probably a ground strap connecting the body to the frame. My starter and battery are both directly into the side of the frame with self drilling bolts.

Tom Rowe offered new ground cables made up from welding cable at a really good price a while back.

I know there are various ground post that are threaded studs attached to the body for the interior ground connections like under the center console and back by the tail lights as well.