Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel pump running?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump running?

I have a 95 Discovery that I picked up cheap a few years ago with a broken CV joint. About that Time I was forced into a career change and move and not much got done. Recently I set her back on the wheels just about ready to safety. Truck idles well for it's age and sounds pretty good for 285,000 km. I've started on the list of recommended service items for a high mileage LR. It's obviously only ever been a pavement driver from the condition of everything I can see. The swivel ball on the good side still contained oil. The other was empty.

Cold it is hesitant to start and I will get it running after hitting the starter several times for a moment or two. Cranking it for longer duration does not improve things. Once warm it starts easily. I exposed the top of the fuel pump today and while idling disconnected the wiring. It died immediately suggesting to me the pump is working. I do not hear it buzz for a second when I initially turn the key on. Is it possible the solenoid is not functioning correctly?

Fuel was obviously quite old but also very low. I added 5 gallons of premium this morning with some Lucas additive.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

check the fuel pressure at the port on the passenger side of the fuel rail....when running it should be in the mid 30's psi, the pump should cycle for a few seconds when the ign key is turned to the second "on " position....if the pressure is low a new filter may be in order and certainly wont hurt given that it's sat for a long time....see how it goes with the fresh fuel, and a new set of plugs/wires/ cap and rotor might be next...

Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Overlanding

I still don't hear the pump but I apparently don't hear my wife all the time. It fired right up today.

I have cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I also have a timing chain and gears. They get pretty sloppy with age and that's a good opportunity to change the front seal, oil and coolant. I have a pan gasket to.
Front diff is done rear one needs a pinion seal as does every other item with oil. She weeps but does not drip. I have a transmission service kit and need to expose the transfer case shifter to free the stuck CDL lock shift pin.

I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. Thanks for the help.

Greg

Old 04-10-2018, 01:34 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

If you don't already have them, grab the workshop manuals from the link in my sig. Sounds like you'll put them to good use.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Overlanding

Put it on a CD and had a printer make me a manual a long while back. Excellent service book.