Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel Pump - Water Short??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump - Water Short??

New to the threads so please excuse me if I post improperly. About a year ago I took my '98 Disco I to the Dealership because it seemed to misfire at about 1500 RPM. If I let it engine idle for about 15-20 minutes, it would run fine. They replaced the fuel pump and it has run fine for the past year.

Now it's starting to do it again. It seems to act worse when it rains, so I took it through the car wash and sure enough, it started acting up again while in the wash. Brought her home, pulled the carpet up and noticed that there was water all around the area where the fuel pump was (probably from the under-carriage wash). Dried it out with a blow-dryer, cranked it up and everything was fine again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to easily seal the area between the fuel tank and the body to keep water from shorting out the electrical connections?

Discovery I / 1998 / 147,000

Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can't water short the fuel pump since it is inside the tank, possibly the harness. My money is in a different area, do you have any fault codes, if so what are the numbers?

Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds more like your ECU got wet, pretty common when going thru a car wash, stay away from those!

I do not think misfires would be a fuel pump issue either, I may be wrong, but thgere are a lot of other things that would be more likely to cause a misfire than a fuel pump.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

It could definitely be the multiplugs on the fuel pump harness in the rear drivers side wheel well. I've had a few issues with those stupid plugs fitting properly.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Time to do some poking and prodding.

Got a Meter?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 PM
8th Gear

Yes, I've got a multi-meter. Mike, I did have some fault codes last year, said it was some sort of valve. I'll run it again to see if it gives me the same codes and respond.

I should have probably said that the area that I dried out specifically was the electrical connectors on top of the fuel pump. I've got some silicon that I'm going to put on the top of the connectors to see if that helps.

I'll look in the rear driver's side well also for the multi-plugs. The reason that I took it through the car-wash was due to a huge nest of black widow spiders making a home underneath the rover. Not crazy about the idea of getting under there, but will do what needs to be done.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll run the diagnostic and see what pops up.

Discovery I / 1998 / 147,000

Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you meter has a 10 amp scale, you can meter current draw thru the pump from under the hood, mine draws like 5 amps. You can also measure the fuel pressue with a screw on gauge on the fuel rail. Be sure the inertia switch is not tripping, etc.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
8th Gear

Savannah Buzz, I like your logo. Huge GT football fan since the 80's. I also live in Savannah, GA.

Oddly enough, it seems as though putting the liquid nails black silicone on the back of the electrical connectors is working (for now). It rained pretty hard tonight and I took the Rover on my regular commute to work. Where it usually starts cutting out, everything went fine.

I'll still hook it up to ECU monitor up to see what codes it pushes and advise at some point, but all seems well (for now).

Thanks everyone.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 PM
8th Gear

Went out and pulled the codes tonight. Here's what I got:

P0300 - Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P1316 - DTC Definition Not Found
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction

Thanks again everyone,
Stephen

Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
8th Gear

Well that didn't last long. It happened again today, although the "Check Engine" light never came on. Going to try to go out and troubleshoot again.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump - Water Short??