Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Gardenia

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gardenia

A big thumb up to Reception Rover for advice on posting to the right forum.
My earlier post was asking for help with brake issues. I have replaced master cylinder, calipers, pads and portion of brake line and still do not have sufficient brakes. got advice to bleed brakes again. I gladly welcome others opinions.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-floor-85034/
this guy just went thru something similar.
turned out to be a bad master cylinder that was brand new

I am assuming you know the proper bleeding procedure, have been watching for leaks and have none.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Overlanding

bled all calipers again and checked for the hissing sound which turned out to be a bad seal around the booster. sealed around booster with silicon to stop the air and now I have brakes.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

any pics?
where is this seal?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably not the problem, but worth a look:
Could any of the calipers have been installed on the wrong sides (e.g. left caliper put on the rt side) so that the bleeder is at the bottom (instead of the top)? If that happens you can't get all the air out - ever. It's not that hard to get them reversed if a guy has everything torn apart at once.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Overlanding
Default Brake issues

Good morning,
I did not get pics, was at a garage who did the work. but the seal is around the booster. I will take and post.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Overlanding

Mark, you raise an excellent point, is there any way of knowing now that all calipers have been installed?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Look between the wheel spokes at the caliper. The bleeder screw on a normally installed caliper would be at the top of the caliper piston bore. If installed backward, it would appear to be further down. I don't know for sure if L/R calipers can be installed backwards but on many vehicles they can. It's just something that could be easy for certain folks to do under the right set of circumstances -- and easy to miss when trying to resolve a brake problem.

The other thing is sometimes it's really difficult to remove air from an ABS system. A lot of manufacturers, especially on newer cars/trucks require the ABS modulator to be cycled with the dealer software tool which engages it and pumps air out (supposedly), or with the key on as in the link above. I've known guys who have had to go back to the Ford dealer a few times because the service guy didn't 'all' the air out of the ABS modulator even following Ford's proceedure. It can be a bugger. Now, on the older Disco's I don't think that's the case, but it could still be air in the abs system. Only takes one or two bubbles.

On the seal, are you talking about the seal between the M/C and the booster, or somewhere else? That seal behind the M/C shouldn't make a difference. It's more of a dust seal. If you're hearing a 'whooshing' sound there it might indicate a leaking master cyl?? or booster (probably M/C since boosters don't usually crap out). In fact, there's usually a weep hole on most vehicles between the M/C and the booster in case the M/C leaks, brake fluid would run down in front of the booster not 'flood' the booster or run inside the vehicle saturate your under-carpet pad or onto the feet pedals where it might cause you to 'slip' during braking. Brake fluid goofs up most rubber and could likely damage the booster bellow if it were to contact it so I would try to keep that area open. Again, IDK what seal you're talking about, maybe you could be more clear and just describe it.

Last edited by Mark G; 08-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-floor-85034/
this guy just went thru something similar.
turned out to be a bad master cylinder that was brand new

I am assuming you know the proper bleeding procedure, have been watching for leaks and have none.
Yup that was me.

The brand new master cylinder was leaking at the booster. So I just got another master and all is good.