Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes contact the dealer, they will know if YOUR truck has been recalled or not.
It could be your retainer ring gasket is bad.
Take your lawnmower gas can and pout that into the Rover and watch for the leak to start.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the recall applies to your vehicle then they will honor it. i had mine done and I'm at least the third owner on a 17 yr old truck. cant hurt to call and ask.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update -

It looks like I am on my own with my Disco - I just got off the phone with a not so local dealer - couldn't get the closest one on the phone - In any case, he checked my VIN and the gas tank recall work was completed on my baby in 2006 - They offered a diagnostic for the small price of 140.00 - That's just the diagnostic - anyways, being newly laid off (unemployed) from work, that kind of money is just NOT SMALL.

Question -
Would they have put in a faulty gas tank in to her when they did the work?

I assume that the tank recall - was related to the tank and not the breather/vent hose - As such I am back to one of the original suggestions which is the fault is with the hose.

Either today or tomorrow, I will be emptying her of fuel, and dropping the gas tank to take a good look look at the problem.

Since this is primarily my daughters baby, she's going to be assisting, and part of her responsibilities are going to be pictoral documentation. I will post the pics and steps I take for resolution of this issue. Just in case someone else needs to do the work.

Thanks again, for all the input and suggestions,

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the issue was with the filler neck splitting. People have done different fixes on this, but yes please, post pics.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by adigerol77
I believe the issue was with the filler neck splitting. People have done different fixes on this, but yes please, post pics.
I appreciate the input indeed. The leak seems to be coming from the top of the tank. I will definitely be looking at the filler neck hose as well for any cracks.

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 06-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is amazing! So I called Land Rover of North America, and guess what, new fuel tank! Even though mine is not one in the VIN range listed, they ran the VIN and next Friday it goes in to have the tank replaced. This thread rocks!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Wonder if they let you keep your old one. You could sell it if it still works. As long as you dont have problems with the ethics of selling a used, recalled gas tank

Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dodger
This is amazing! So I called Land Rover of North America, and guess what, new fuel tank! Even though mine is not one in the VIN range listed, they ran the VIN and next Friday it goes in to have the tank replaced. This thread rocks!
Dodger,

That is awesome - Glad to hear/see that this has brought to light an issue that you needed resolved..

God Is Awesome how He Works --

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The problem was the gas tanks did not vent properly and the gas tank would eventually split at the top where the fuel pump goes in.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Mudding

Hey Hey Guys - I got the tank off my rig and here is a pic of the problem - as a few have speculated - the Vent/Breather hose has failed (epically)...
I intend to post a different thread to help others do this job- I just wanted to make sure that this thread had some form of final word on the problem...

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Last edited by Travelor; 06-30-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas/Fuel Tank Leak