Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

GlowShift Water Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The temp gauge in a lot of newer vehicles are basically useless as they just move into their 'proper' position based on time rather than actual temp of engine. It's good to know that the guage actually works (kinda) in the LR.

If you are set on keeping the GlowShift I would put your new sending unit into the hole for the current temp sending unit (assuming it threads-in) then disregard your dash gauge completely. As long as the gauge is the only thing feed by the factory sending unit that is.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Ultra Guage according to Spike merely plugs into the ODB port, so you could easily swap it between the two and it serves as a code reader and to reset the CEL as well. That is why I want one.

I have to drive to the Advanced Auto Parts to borrow theirs. Some of them let me use it on my own, a few claim they are required to do it for me and they act like idiots.

Also their new one does live data but their old one was damaged when someone cranked their car with it hooked up. They freak out if you want to start the engine and look at live data, so I just want my own readewr. The UltraScan does it all.

Yeah. I can give you my VIN and we can see how many cars were built between mine and yours. They are probably the same equipment internally even though mine is a 97.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Using my UltraGauge I have figured out that my dash temp gauge reads normal at ~150*F, bottom mark at ~120*F.
I removed my engine fan this week, no change in engine temps, no change in warm up time.
This is what I expected since it is cold here and the engine fan only cools the engine at a hot idle and only if the engine is to hot.
What I did not expect was no change in MPG.
Yes the UltraGuage just plugs into the OBD port, you can swap it from car to car HOWEVER your stored data will be messed up if you drive with it plugged into the other car.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danny...UltraGauge/Ultra Scan...same thing right?

Flyer....I'm going to do just that. Replace the dash temp gauge. If I can figure out what Savannah said re the 45ohms I might do that instead of glue it. I'd pretty much do anything you suggest (short of a Sandunksky) if that 'copter is your daily driver.

I will put the UltraGauge on my Xmas wishlist.

Sry, but where is that ODB port?

Where is this

Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

47 ohms is a standard value, probably less than a dollar at Radio Scrap. OBDII port is on bottom edge of dash below steering wheel. It is where you plug in code reader to reset all the misfire codes from that lame tea kettle engine of yours.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench

what....i love that engine. those are fighting words.

best vehicle engine I ever owned.

only 4 wheel vehicle engine I ever owned. well that and the 906 and 748 in italian red.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the Dolphin is no longer my DD. This is the new ride...

Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench

geeeeeze...probably one of the few vehicles that get less MPG's than I do. impressive, but i've always preferred tires on the ground meself. two or four.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See photo for possible location of un-used fitting for water temp connection. This is my 97 D1. Note temp sensors on right side, rear one is the single wire gauge sensor, and front one with brown plastic is two wire unit that drives the ECU. Big empty hole is where the stat came from. I can stick my finger in and touch the back of that big bolt on lower right of stat hole. Have no idea what that might have been for. But I bet a thermostat sender could be attached with suitable threaded adapter.

Attached Thumbnails GlowShift Water Temp Gauge Install-p1120327.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about putting it in the loop to and from the heater? If you could find a suitable adapter, you could merely cut either one of those hoses, install a piece inbetween the two with the sensor mounted riught there.

Any of you young mechanical wizards got the ability to design and possible manufacture a simple thing to acheive that? Lots of room to put something in that area.

Quick Reply: GlowShift Water Temp Gauge Install