Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Good day today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good day today.

Well the light at the end of the tunnel is finally overhead and it now appears there's only one thing left to do on the LR (well not actually) and that is drive it!

Got the rad in and hooked everything up. Runs very cool now and gauge was rock steady at 9:00. Never got readings above 145-150 even on the t-stat housing. A bit higher at the rad inlet (170 ish) but I haven't done a lot of measurements yet.

I also disconnected the trailer lights and behold...all my weird lighting issues are now resolved! I think it had a short internally in the plug.

So took it for a short spin. She pulls well all the way over 5K and sounds good. There is a slight hesitation or bog with small applications of throttle from steady speed though. It's weird, if I push the pedal down just a little it seems to bog very slightly. It will even accelerate better if I back off of the throttle slightly. This is very slight but noticable. It's could be the TPS or any number of things I guess. I still need to change the cap and rotor. I've cleaned them pretty well but really they look like cheapies and are pretty worn. It could also be my 'bigger' vacuum advance line. I may pop the old one on and see if there is a difference. Also need to run a good tank of gas through it and the SeaFoam.

That's the report for now. A good day indeed!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

good news!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Your ecu will be re-learning things now, so a number of drive cycles will be needed to get to full potential. Congratulations, and here's to cooler operating temps. What temp stat did you end up with? Like the idea of replace cap and rotor. Got heat?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys, couldn't have done it without all the help and encouragement I've received here.

Went with 180 on the stat. Had to drill the hole though as I couldn't find one locally with the jingle-device.

Yes, new cap and rotor are on Santa's list. I've seen such a wide array in prices...thoughts?

Toasty warm. Got the fan blower switch in a 'sweet spot' now for high. Probably leave it there until Spring! I need to re-attach the wx-strip around the rear driver's side door. It's blowing in pretty good.