Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Good stereo component replacements (if you're interested)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What would be so bad about buying some of the small metal enclosure outdoor type speakers that lots of companies now make or using some of the small home theater type speakers.

Way back when, I had a 67 chevy window van with a Pioneer SuperTuner driving a Pair of EPI MicroTower standing in the rear of the van so0unded awesome.

You could put a pair of Bose or some other high quality small enclosures back there very easily. I would prefer that over some monstrosity huge mdf box that eats up a lot of your space and aims the sound straight across the back of the truck.

I hate those overpowered thumper bass units that so many younger folk are so wild about.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an amazing guide for a D1, but for a D2 how different is it? I just want to replace my front speakers the 6.5 for better ones, and bypass the amp completely while using the alpine head unit stock it comes with. What are speakers I could use, and what amp would do the job?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Three Wheeling

If you don't like overpowering bass just put a single 8" or 10" sub in one side of the cargo area where a 3rd row jump seat would go.

With a utility knife, tin snips, and about 30 minutes of my time I was able to fit Infiniti Kapa 6.5" coaxials perfectly in the rear pillar speaker holes. I just opened them up some and mounted them. Huge sound improvement. I am still using the stock deck and some stock size pioneer fronts someone put in the truck with a cassette adapter to my phone.

I plan a single 10" sub fiberglass box on the passenger side cargo area, 4 new speakers, and a new head unit eventually. I will probably run one of the Apline PDX solid state amps because they are tiny, don't create much heat, and sound good (have one in my mini cooper S)

Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I have a 1999 Discovery II and plan on replacing my stock subs with the ones the original poster posted. I also intend on installing a similar 200 watt amp, but herein lies my immense confusion.

Simply put...

What is the best way to wire my audio system/subs using this amp: Boss Audio RIOT R1002 2-Channel Power Amplifier?

I've done loads of research but the whole 2 amp system in this car is really messing with me (My knowledge of car audio is not that great mind you). I understand the concept of bypassing a stock amp; however, I am at a loss with how to deal with the stock sub amp.

From my understanding of the original poster. He essentially nullified the front stock amp by connecting the head unit to wires that initially came out of the stock amp, and connected the new amp to the stock rear amp which is connected to his new subs. I'm pretty sure I confused myself writing that out, part in italics, I don't understand that part of the install.

Forgot to mention this is the head unit I will install
Amazon.com: Kenwood KDC-252U In-Dash USB/CD Receiver: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood KDC-252U In-Dash USB/CD Receiver: Car Electronics

Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear
Default need some new audio for my land rover

hi, my name is matias and i live in Peru, i own a Land Rover `98. Someone knows what kind of components speakers, amplifiers and subwoofer can i install in my Land Rover?

my dad, decieded to take off the subwoofer thats on the rear door and install a gas system (GLP in spanish), and now i only listen all my music without bass and its horrible (try to do it for 3 years). now, my speakers dont work good and wanted to buy new ones but not that expensive. also i wanted to make sure it fits on the space is needed to put a speaker, because i dont want to ruin the wood.

Thank you, Poblete

Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Thread resurrection!

Don't know a lot about electronics but wanting to upgrade the stock sound system in my Disco. My question is, would a head unit be able to power all the speakers and the subs in the back? I would just be getting a couple 6.5" back there. I would also plan on bypassing the stock amp as it sounds like it would get blown correct?

Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The rear subwoofers are a funny size. I re-foamed mine for about $12 for both a few years ago and they work great. Didn't take very long. If that's the only thing wrong, that's what I would do if you want to preserve the rest of the system..

Last edited by Mark G; 11-08-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap replacement subwoofer speakers

Originally Posted by Mark G
The rear subwoofers are a funny size.
The Rear subs are 6 1/2" mid-bass size. You can pick up some cheap ones from Walmart:

Scosche Full Range Speaker System with Two 6.5" Woofers - Walmart.com

Just remove the speakers from this horrible enclosure and replace your current ones.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Hmmm, that's strange. What I was seeing at the time wasn't fitting and bolts not lining up. Thanks for the tip..

Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM
TReK
Received 418 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 99DiscoFlyer
Thread resurrection!

Don't know a lot about electronics but wanting to upgrade the stock sound system in my Disco. My question is, would a head unit be able to power all the speakers and the subs in the back? I would just be getting a couple 6.5" back there. I would also plan on bypassing the stock amp as it sounds like it would get blown correct?

Thanks again.
Honestly, unless you really need volume high enough to make your ears bleed, you don't need that much.

All I did was upgrade the sub amp and drivers and my car rocks pretty damn good.

Quick Reply: Good stereo component replacements (if you're interested)