Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Green puddles where they are not wanted....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Green puddles where they are not wanted....

Had leak on top of engine. Tightened hose clamps on upper hose, thought that was it. Had green steaks down center of valley pan also. Ran at idle for an hour while working on something else nearby, with rear backed up on ramps to cause liquid to flow to the front. Stayed dry.

Two weeks later and these pix today. Last weekend was bone dry. Pool of green around passenger side front intake bolt, which is under the water line to heater core. Had replaced that hose on recent HG work, tightened those clamps today also. Will clean it off and go for a test drive. Off spring usually puts less than 100 miles a week on truck. Coolant was down about 1/4 inch from my reference point.

I am reluctant to touch the intake manifold bolts, as mine were stripped out by the village idiot (dat be me) who did the head gaskets, replaced with inserts, which don't have as much strength, and I worry that I could be back to stripped out again, this time with me 150 miles from the offspring and college truck, as I am starting new project out of town.

Attached Thumbnails Green puddles where they are not wanted....-p1130557.jpg   Green puddles where they are not wanted....-p1130559.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Buzz, are you sure there is not a pin hole i n that short hose?
Did you use adhesive on both sides of the intake gasket? I was unsure so i did
Think you need to get some UV coolant leak detector, it works wonders with a hard to find leak, and or pressure test with system hot

Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

I used a piece of straight hose for that short one, I have sent a member a PM to check one in stock to see if it is "tapered" and two different sized ends. No more leaks today, short 20 mile trips, and idle long enough to wax it. I used RTV on both sides at the corner water channels, not thick.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

That is a tapered hose I remember from doing mine also think mine had a pin leak there in that hose at one point so i replaced all hoses new, hope that is all it is

Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are talking about that little 3"x1"-ish piece of hose...

...yes it is 2 different diameters at each end.

Also, I have a similar coolant leak on my D1. I had previously replaced the thermostat/gasket and that little hose (it looked a bit ballooned). I initially thought it was coming from the thermostat housing, but that doesnt seem to be the case. I have not investigated the issue too much further because I have oil in the expansion tank and will have to do the HGs sometime kinda soon anyway.

Last edited by pinkytoe69; 09-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While in Germany, I too found the same indications of coolant leak as shown in your pics.

My vehicle will be delivered this week from Germany - relocated to Ft Riley, KS. So I can't provide pics of what I describe below. But hope this might help you.

The short hose, Pinkytoe69 posted pic, had ballooned and had a pinhole in it. After further inspection, found that the pinhole was actually caused by the clamp - because my original clamps had a little extra piece of metal protruding off one side by screw head area. When hose ballooned, this cut into the hose. PO put clamps on with metal piece (on both clamps) positioned so they were facing towards center of hose!

Replaced hose and clamps with new ones, ensuring the protruding piece was to the outside (not towards the center of the hose area) to ensure they could not cut into hose again. Further, ensured both screws were positioned on top for easy access in the future. Result: no more issue!

Just food for thought.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Guess I'll be ordering that small hose then. My straight piece is likely to small on one end and too big on the other. The one that came off was a balloon sausage of the Maypop brand - may pop any minute.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my hoses I took that and matched up at auto zone. Forgot what hose was used but had the right size on both ends and just had to cut it down to size. They should have a hose you can grab off the shelf if you do a bit of hunting.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

When you install the new one spray lube it inside goes on easy

Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to use a 3/4" piece I found lying around. Had to soak one end in almost boiling water to soften it enough to get it on but know leaks. If you look at the post you'll see a mod another member did to his so as to not have to get the tapered hose.

Quick Reply: Green puddles where they are not wanted....