Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Gurgling Behind Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this the preferred one? Expeditionware Brass Plug -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated
It looks like it'd seal much better.

Mine is brass with a 14mm square on top. It doesn't bottom out either. It just keeps on going till it falls in.

Should I be concerned about bits of teflon getting stuck in the cooling system? From what I understand the radiator pathways are tiny.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

That's the ne plus ultra gold standard. You need to stop spending so much time Rover wrenching with holidays upon us or you will be in hot water. And getting her a set of impact sockets is a really bad idea.... lol hope an Ultra Gauge is under the tree you harvested to provide more elbow room for wildlife.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench

Ha. No need to worry, Buzz. I got that all taken care of
Gurgling Behind Dash-photo.jpg

Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ha ha....lol

Eric our rovers must be twins separated at birth....LOL.they just are the same age and i think its crazy......seems like you can time these issues....with a watch

so yeah i had this gurgle before the hg job too ....ps i have excaped oregon...by way of the coast ...(Nesika Beach....almost made me stay.......)

I believed i had a heater core issue (leak) causing my overheating...at that time so i bypassed the heater core ...actually after doing this I never overheated again .......just started blowing white smoke while dropping into ashland....

after putting the engine right.... I left the heater disconnected.. and drove down here to Santa Clarita .....where i have now reconnected the heater lines ....waited to do this here so that i could handle the problem with british pac in the same town as me :0 ......today I have tried to burp out this sound over and over ......with a flshlight I can not see that the lines or the core are leaking......but if I dont get it to stop by tomorrow i will be pulling the dashboard to get a better look.....just to be sure....

Sure am interested in what you find out once again ))) WHAT HAPPENED did ya get rid of it???

And ps I have the plastic plug.....NEVER have had it leak....kinda love my plastic plug just because it never leaks.....but then i never really open it....I ALWAYS use the overflow cap...so its not like it gets alot of use...opened twice in the last year............but If I had brass I'd use hylomar blue.....on the threads I use it everywhere that metal meets metal where i don't want leaks....

as a sidenote....I used hylosil to seal the metal /rubber hose unions on the oil cooler lines...the air compressor could get them to bubble....right at the seam....all fixed up there....in fact....1000 miles on my new HG & top end rebuild and NO LEAKS ....well unless this heater core ends up being a leak

As relating to the size of the rad holes yezzzz they are quite flat.....I had mine re-cored and got to take a good look at the old core ...and the new core has larger openings and more of them....

Last edited by Timebus; 12-30-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Three Wheeling

that brass one you linked to sure is pretty tho i'd get it just cuz

Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Timebus, what is the update? Last we heard you were shimming your valvetrain and now you are in SoCal?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. I ordered that fancy brass cap, bled the system, and it hasn't gurgled or leaked since. I really like that the o-ring prevents me from having to use a more permanent or messy thread sealer.

Hylosil to seal the oil cooler lines is a great idea. Some day soon I'll look into making some stainless steel braided lines.

What did you do for your rocker shims?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

I really need,to update my threads I know...so I didnt shim....d&d claims they never do....i measured available preload to be around 173 thous.....mine were pretty evenly coming in at 80 thou or .08.....see people on mg sites and some others did not seem to be having problems...at the same preload....did compression test to be,sure valves were able to seat...also several engine builders I spoke with said they didnt see the point....everything seems fine without having done so....i figured im not even using half of the available preload travel .....

so eric HOW???.... did you bleed the system I have been trying everything amd have gone through and tightened all my hoses just to be sure....no coolant leaking...getting really frustrated.....i feel like must have a leak ....but I cant find one.....did you do anything special to bleed....park,on a hill....? Empty all the coolant ...? Guy at bp here suggested putting aviation sealant on on the hoses,just to be sure no air getting in? Seems like a messy disaster? just want to be sure ive tried bleeding it correctly before I start removing and gluing hoses on....guess i am going to try reversing the hoses and then switching back which is something i saw to do somewhere??

i have tried to bleed it on a hill....flat......hot.... cold......really cranked on the hoses that i thought maybe not quite tight........used flashlight to inspect all hose connections cold and hot ......still have this annoying waterfall in the dash.....not ready to drive across the rest of the country with out resolving this...

Last edited by Timebus; 12-30-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Timebus
I really need,to update my threads I know...so I didnt shim....d&d claims they never do....i measured available preload to be around 173 thous.....mine were pretty evenly coming in at 80 thou or .08.....see people on mg sites and some others did not seem to be having problems...at the same preload....did compression test to be,sure valves were able to seat...also several engine builders I spoke with said they didnt see the point....everything seems fine without having done so....i figured im not even using half of the available preload travel .....

so eric HOW???.... did you bleed the system I have been trying everything amd have gone through and tightened all my hoses just to be sure....no coolant leaking...getting really frustrated.....i feel like must have a leak ....but I cant find one.....did you do anything special to bleed....park,on a hill....? Empty all the coolant ...? Guy at bp here suggested putting aviation sealant on on the hoses,just to be sure no air getting in? Seems like a messy disaster? just want to be sure ive tried bleeding it correctly before I start removing and gluing hoses on....guess i am going to try reversing the hoses and then switching back which is something i saw to do somewhere??

i have tried to bleed it on a hill....flat......hot.... cold......really cranked on the hoses that i thought maybe not quite tight........used flashlight to inspect all hose connections cold and hot ......still have this annoying waterfall in the dash.....not ready to drive across the rest of the country with out resolving this...

AMEN! Waterfalls!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO - a combustion gas in coolant test ($50) from parts store - makes a dozen or so tests. One use is to "prove" that any recent gasket work has ..... "worked" - and you are not still having a HG leak. A coolant pressure test at 18 - 20 PSI should indicate any external hose leak.

Of course, there is the standard "island repair" pictured, from Slang in San Juan, it removes the annoying gurgle once and for all (lol)

Attached Thumbnails Gurgling Behind Dash-heater-bypass-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Gurgling Behind Dash