Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Guys, I need help. Please don't flame me :O

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude. Take some photos so we know what you're working with. You're a highschooler in 2011. Use some damn technology. Show is the problems and we'll walk you through em.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, actually I just found my camera haha. Post them in a second

Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Metal Bracket With Rivets underneath

One of the 3 Rivets I took out

Rivet With A Broken Bit In There

What I'm working with

Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Ehhh? No insight? haha Cool beans :P

Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep drilling? Not sure what you're asking honestly.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I mean, I guess I have a little insight. I'm still pretty incredulous that you can't drill that last rivet out regardless of what's in it. Get a bigger bit, try a chisel and hammer, see if you can't just use the punch and hammer at this point to smash it through. It's also hard to see in the last photo but it looks like that tab you photographed was at the top (dash) side of the Cdl boot. Can you just bend the tabs out of the way and pull the boot out? You're really close. Worst case scenario and you smash that rivet so bad, you'll probably get by reinstalling just three of four. When in doubt, hit it harder.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use whatever tools are at your disposal, if it helps think of your arch-rival's face on each rivet. Every high-schooler has an arch-rival, right? Ex-girlfriend at the very least? Like Turf said, bigger bit, bigger drill, bigger hammer, etc. You can also use a Dremel or grinder to get the heads off, then punch the rest out if it doesn't fall through.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bigger Hammer and a Sharp Chisel. Get a MAN to hit it for you. Or a FAT GIRL. Don't be such a WIMP. HA HA HA HA.

Seriously, when you do get it off, take a look at my picture album link and you will see way too many pics of the entire linkage. The real key is the triangular looking piece at the bottom of the linkage with a nut in the middle.

Even after complete teardown and greasing and replacement of all the little clips and pins and such, mine did not engage until I put a socket over that center nut on the CDL selector plate and was attempting to loosen the nut with a Speed Handle and an extension. Instead of loosening, the counter clock wise rotational forces applied suddenly moved the entire linkage, shifter and all. I surmise it was stuck and freed up when I applied some muscle. The shifter actually jumped to the left and hit me in the leg. This physically engaged the CDL (look at the exploded view of the internals of the center diff, there is a yoke that locks the diff. The light did not work until I replaced the CDL Switch because the plunger mechanism was bad as well.

I do not know how many times I have typed this same info over and over and over again. The Rover's North website has an excellent exploded view of the entire set up with part numbers and prices and nomenclatures.

Do yourself a favor and study it, you will achieve a much better understanding of it.

Afer you get it done, you will have a true feeling of accomplishment that is often missing in today's youth.

If I offended you, click on the other link in my signature. I haven't seen the snake killer, Swamp Man on here lately. Guess either he gave up on his Rover or maybe the snakes got him for killing that awesome rattler he was so proud of.

Have FUN with YOUR ROVER, I DO WITH MINE.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the piece I was referring to:

12-30-08 032 pictures from rides photos on webshots

Bottom line is, this must rotate CCW to lock the Center Differential.

You may want to try spraying the entire linkage heavily with PB Blaster qand rotating this piece to save yourself a lot of teardown.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench

FREAK YES! I GOT IT OFF! I got sick of it just sitting there this afternoon and I got out of class early and it was my day off so... I attacked it with a flat head and a hammer! Bent that metal thing around it pretty bad but I think I can straighten it out a bit. Now I can see the ground from the inside of my car

So... now I look at Danny's pics? Checking... now...

Quick Reply: Guys, I need help. Please don't flame me :O