Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

H-Rated Tires for Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H-Rated Tires for Discovery?

So the specs for a '97 Discovery call for an H-rated tire. I suspect the speed rating is more to insure decent steering response and handling characteristics on such a heavy and tall vehicle. Funny thing is, trying to find an H-rated 235/70-16 limits your choices. Go to Michelin's website, for instance, and they will tell you they do not offer a tire for the D1.

That was disappointing for me, since, I have a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 on a Tundra with 105K miles and 6/32nds left. This is a highway truck, but the tires have always been sticky even in the rain, and reasonably comfortable and fairly quiet. Seemed like that was where I was headed for our Rover that is about 95%+ on road, but they are T rated in the correct size for the Rover. Some tire shops won't even install them for that reason.

I've seen all kinds of specs discussed here, but the discussions are generally about off road tires and speed rating is usually never mentioned. In fact, with the propensity toward off road tires, I'd hazard a guess very few if any tires you guys are running are H-rated. Am I correct?

Most recently I've been running Bridgestone Alenza's because they are H-rated, but the mileage has only been meh, and they seem to dry up pretty fast. The new Alenza plus's are 80K treadlife tires, but I would prefer the Michelins if I knew I weren't sacrificing anything on steering or handling. When I bought it 17 years ago, it came with Michelins and I liked those a lot until they were discontinued. Whay say you guys about H-Rated tires?

Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I run E rated

Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have Michelin Latitude 235/70/16 on my daily commuter and love them. I have grown up with Michelins and always buy them when they are an option. I got them at Costco and they made me sign a waiver because they were not H rated, they are T.

I've had them for about 4 months, no problems, love them. Quiet with good traction, but I have only driven in the rain twice.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Mudding

So, abran, you would say you feel no adverse driving or handling issues with a T-rated Michelin? What were you driving for comparison?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Baja

I had older michelins that I believe were H rated, but were old with some slights dry cracks on the sidewall. I had them for over 7 years as I didn't put a lot of miles on the car.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Baja

And no adverse affects, drives great.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench

I run D load rating tires. They are a hell of a lot bigger but I'll be running C rated on the next set I have in the works. No clue the speed rating but I guarantee you my disco wont come near it.

Last edited by CUpgt; 05-13-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Original speed rating of the tires has to do with the original potential top speed of the vehicle.

My Acura TL had W rated tires because if you were crazy you could drive it 145mph if found a long enough straight enough road. But you could easily get away with V or H rated tires and get plenty of speeding tickets.

I didn't get the factory speed rating tires for my LR3, because it wasn't worth paying extra when I'm NEVER going to drive over about 80mph. I stuck with the OE load rating of XL, because the truck is heavy AND I use it to tow.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
I run D load rating tires. They are a hell of a lot bigger but I'll be running C rated on the next set I have in the works. No clue the speed rating but I guarantee you my disco wont come near it.
passenger tires are rated for speed, truck tires for load. anyway, i wouldnt run Cs on a truck this heavy.. just my $.02. i have load range E coopers on mine, theyll probably outlast the truck.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
Original speed rating of the tires has to do with the original potential top speed of the vehicle.

My Acura TL had W rated tires because if you were crazy you could drive it 145mph if found a long enough straight enough road. But you could easily get away with V or H rated tires and get plenty of speeding tickets.

I didn't get the factory speed rating tires for my LR3, because it wasn't worth paying extra when I'm NEVER going to drive over about 80mph. I stuck with the OE load rating of XL, because the truck is heavy AND I use it to tow.
As I understand it, the term "speed rating" is a bit of a misnomer, and as a result is widely misunderstood. In a practical sense I'm told it equates to the stiffness and strength of the sidewalls to provide handling and responsiveness at higher speeds. For instance I don't think my D1 could go 130 MPH if it were thrown out of an airplane, yet that is what Land Rover specs for the vehicle. They do not spec truck tires. Even Defender 90's from that era were spec'ed with S-Rated passenger tires, and it's fair to say a Defender at 112 mph would be a handful.

Quick Reply: H-Rated Tires for Discovery?