Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Has anyone successfully mended their transmission cooler lines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone successfully mended their transmission cooler lines?

Just curious if anyone has found a method to mend those stupid crimped connections on the trans cooler lines? Both lines that pass through the drivers fenderwell on our 98 are leaking right where the rubber hose is crimped to the rest of the line. Pretty typical of crimped hose connections to leak so we werent surprised by it. It's not pouring out fluid or anything like that, just making a mess in the fenderwell and on the steering box. I saw the price of the new lines on Atlantic British and $199 for 3 seems nutty considering they are just lines that could probably be easily fabbed by hand. It's also Christmas so spending that much to fix something that isnt really broken just aint gonna happen. I've seen a lot of guys cut off the lines just before the crimps, double flare the ends and then use rubber hose with hose clamps to stop the leak. Kind of ghetto but if it works $10 bucks sounds better than $200. I was also thinking of just making new stainless lines but I read there is a switch somewhere in that mess to worry about.

Anyway has anyone gone an alternate route versus just buying new lines? I'd love to be able to at least stop the lines from making a mess for a little while until I can get new hoses. Part of me kind of thinks the new hoses will more then likely suck just as the ones on there do already though. Same dumb design so it can only be a matter of time before they start leaking again.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The tranny temp switch is lower hose # 5 in attached pix. IMHO it a'int ghetto if it keepz ya goin'. Assumes you have a 98 D1.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 rad.pdf (847.5 KB, 232 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried reinforcing the crimp with a hose clamp? Mine seep a bet and I was thinking I may try doing just that.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a totally different failure with one of the lines going to the towel bar tranny cooler that is mountd behind the grill. One of mine developed a pinhole in the metal from corrosion and required replcement. It was in the 70 to 80 dollar range.

The subject of cooler lines comes up once in a while. Savannah also had an issue with the coooer portion of a used rad being mostly blocked. Another alternative may be an aftermarket cooler and blocking off the connections at the radiator.

Another alternative that gets thrown out is having an industrial hose mfg fab a set of replacements. I know here in Pittsburgh there are some places that advertise hoses made to order while you wait. Have not priced them yet. If enough people are interested it may be worth getting a batch made up.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-05-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling

I think there are options, you dont really need to treat these cars like a purist unless you think it beneficial. I think a couple of nipples and heavy duty rubber hose will work. There are so many different style hose clamps and holders, you reall could do a better job then the factory did.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I had a totally different failure with one of the lines going to the towel bar tranny cooler that is mountd behind the grill. One of mie developed a pinhole in the metal from corrosion and required replcement. It was in the 70 to 80 dollar range.

The subject of cooler lines comes up once in a while. Savannah also had an issue with the coooer portion of a used rad being mostly blocked. Another alternative may be an aftermarket cooler and blocking off the connections at the radiator.

Another alternative that gets thrown out is having an industrial hose mfg fab a set of replacements. I know here in Pittsburgh there are some places that advertise hoses made to order while you wait. Have not priced them yet. If enough people are interested it may be worth getting a batch made up.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Yes, that is entirely possible, however the downside of a DIY is that if it does pop loose while underway, you could dump all your tranny fluid or oil pretty quickly and risk ruining tranny and/or engine pretty quickly.

So the reward of saving a few bucks could be the risk of a major loss.

"Are you feeling lucky punk?"
Dirty Harry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oi...eature=related

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-05-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Yes, that is entirely possible, however the downside of a DIY is that if it does pop loose while underway, you could dump all your tranny fluid or oil pretty quickly and risk ruining tranny and/or engine pretty quickly.

So the reward of saving a few bucks could be the risk of a major loss.

"Are you feeling lucky punk?"
Dirty Harry

I think one could do a much better job routing HD lines up to the cooler than the factory.

My 1970 Wagoneer had tranny cooler line routed the EXACT same way. When the belt came off on the highway it destroyed the metal and rubber lines and I lost nearly all my tranny fluid on a hwy i the middle of nowhere texas.

STUPID and dangerous design to put them so close to the motor and fan drive system. I then routed them to the top of the fram rail then put two 90 degree nipples on the cooler.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:10 PM

I totally agree with improving the routing on all their lines. If one can do a good job of fabbing tubing or hoses, that is great as long as they hold up of course.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. After looking at it a little closer I think making and re routing new lines is the best option. The design and location of the factory lines is just plain odd. I think some nice stainless lines routed a little better will be a big improvement. Only one of the three lines is leaking but I figure if I go through the trouble of fabbing a new line I may as well do them all. I have a small hoard of stainless line and fittings I use for nitrous systems so hopefully I already have the sizes needed.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Thanks for the input everyone. After looking at it a little closer I think making and re routing new lines is the best option. The design and location of the factory lines is just plain odd. I think some nice stainless lines routed a little better will be a big improvement. Only one of the three lines is leaking but I figure if I go through the trouble of fabbing a new line I may as well do them all. I have a small hoard of stainless line and fittings I use for nitrous systems so hopefully I already have the sizes needed.
at some of the farm and tractor store they sell some real good hose for doing just this thing. On of them has a silicone or some sort of liner to reduce expansion etc. You dont have to worry about about collapsing as the line is under pressure.

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully mended their transmission cooler lines?