Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Head gasket job report

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket job report

Finally bit the bullet and got into it. I had to add approx a 1/2 quart of coolant everytime I filled the gas tank. My truck has 182,000km (about 111,000miles).

After 12hrs or so over two days I have one head off. I had to stop 'cause I was getting tired and started doing stupid things ( like trying to turn clockwise to get a bolt off ).

Interesting views so far were: pict 6487: previous owner obviously put some additive to stop some leak...
Pict 6493: some rodent found out that a V8 is a warm an cozy place...
Pict 6516: the valley pan's in good shape. May have been replaced in the past:the end seals were gooped in place with some red RTV: anyone knows if that's what was used in the factory?
Pict6527: Camshaft does show some wear but the lobes don't look too bad either
Pict 6533: took the small hose off the passenger side valve cover vent and found this plug in the opening???There's no such thing in the driver side vent hose . Any clue to what this is?

Up to now it's been pretty straightforward thanks to all the great posts on this forum and "In search of experience" video. I was pleased to see that there's minimal sludge deposit in the engine. As you can see that compensates for the rust that's inevitable when you get 5-6 months of snow. All bolts came off pretty easily, which is a big change from all chassis work I did before which ended up with a torch or a hacksaw (and of course PBblaster as an appetizer)

The valve cover gaskets were also in a good shape although the glue between cover and seal was gone. RAVE calls for some Bostik glue here. Wonder if RightStuff be ok for that application?

I'll show some picts of where the gasket leaked on my next post.

Time for another cold beer.

Cheers

Richard

Attached Thumbnails Head gasket job report-img_6487.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6493.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6516.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6527.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6533.jpg  

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm doing this too, well I'm done . Just got to sent the heads to the shop. I found a greasy penny under the intake manifold. WTF!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Three Wheeling

If we had a "Beer" icon like other v bulliten's- I would give you two! Nice, and good luck

Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Here's more stuff:

Pict 6536: That's to make sure my Rover stays healthy.
Pict 6539: General view with covers and intake removed. Rusty eh?
Pict 6543: Found this plus a piece of bent wire in the head. Hell, I once bit into a rivet head while eating my Cheerios...go wonder...
Pict 6552: Bottom left corner: I had a leak there . There's also evidence of stop leak accumulation and caked dirt on the outside.
Pict 6553: Not quite sure but this time it looks like coolant leaked in instead of out .

Passenger side to be opened soon . Stay tuned.

Cheers again ( and why not a last beer before bedtime ).

Richard

Attached Thumbnails Head gasket job report-img_6536.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6539.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6543.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6552.jpg   Head gasket job report-img_6553.jpg  

Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Thing in valve cover is part of PCV vent system. Clean with carb cleaner.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
That's what I thought first but it's on one side only and looks like it completely plugs the opening (it did sit a bit lower though)

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I thought that was a valve stem keeper when I first looked at it. Is it solid on the head? Or loose?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job, stay organized! I've been down this road and will be down it again soon as my seep turns into more of a solid leak.
Wish I had more to add but the manual and the internet have all the info you need.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

pic 6543.....that little "bushing" goes in the valve cover gasket where the bolt goes through, obviously there should be 4 per (side) gasket to account for.good luck,

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Bingo!

That bushing was missing on the cover seal.

Quick Reply: Head gasket job report