Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Head gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head gasket questions

I'm getting ready to do my head gaskets in the next few months and needed some input on related items. While I've got everything apart, should I replace the water pump, fan, and viscous clutch? Several years ago the dealer told me my fan was worn and needed replacing. I kind of blew that off and it hasn't flown apart yet, but I figured maybe it was a good repair when everything was off?

Also, when I take my heads to the machine shop, do they do a "valve job" in addition to planing the heads or not? I ask this b/c I recall there being an issue with some D1s where the exhaust valves tend to stick. My truck has experienced some of the symptoms associated with this (mainly the engine losing power suddenly at highway speeds, though not in a long while), and I wondered if this would be the time to upgrade to the newer carbon break exhaust valves.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Please take pictures of your heads! I want to see the carbon. Mine way unreal and probably took me 12 hours to fully clean them. All I can say is ask if they do a valve job? Thought I can't say I really know what that is. The kit from rover parts comes with new valve seals. You will need to renege tool to remove valves if you change yours.

Ad far as your fan clutch and water pump. That really has nothing tondo with removing the head gaskets (you don't have to touch them) so I would put it off. Bothnof those repairs are next to nothing in time to change. If YOU think your fan clutch is worn change it.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some shops will machine the heads only if you ask them. A head job usually consists of complete dissasembly of the head with replacement of all worn valves, valve seats, valve guides, springs, retainers, valve seals., machining of the compression side of the head as well as the exhaust side(if needed). Before you let a shop go crazy, ask them to inspect the heads and see IF they need machining. You may just need a valve job, or the valves may be fine and you may need the head machined(planing). Also, get a quote for the minimum work and an estimate for a worst case scenario. You may find it cheaper, depending on the labor rates and parts, to simply replace the head with new.(rarely is this the case, but you never know till you check).