Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Headliner Option LINe X

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headliner Option LINe X

Guys I yanked my headliner board out today to clean the sunroof drains. I decided to work on the headliner board while it was out. After thinking about it I decided to call Rhino Liner and Line X dealers. I called Line x and the guy quoted me less than 100$ to spray the whole thing and color match dye the viewable side. He said he'd seal the whole board in the stuff. It would be dry and ready to put back in within 2 hours. I'll take before and after photos.

Edit: There is no Rhino Liner Dealer within 40 miles of Myrtle Beach that does retail sales. So if any of you are looking to escape the Northern weather and have a good income look into it. The Nearest dealers are Conway to the west, Charleston to the South and Wilmington. There are a few hundred thousand hard working people in between those areas.

Last edited by jacumja; 04-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are thinking outside the box, good for you!!!
Really, you've got a great idea for the liner repair.
Please post pictures so SHMBO can see that I'm not crazy.

SD

Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why are you going to spend so much on spraying it? You can put new fabric on for that price.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Mudding

A few reasons.
1. I don't feel like fawking with fabric or wrinkiles and bubbles ect.
2. The cheapest estimate on a headliner was $175.
3. The sunroofs currently leak. This will prevent mold, rot and make for a faster clean up.
4. Even if I fix the sunroofs with new ones or seal them they will eventually leak again. I live one block from the Ocean.
5. It will stay clean.
6. It will clean up far easier than any fabric.
7. I nor anyone I sell the truck to will ever, ever have to deal with it again.
8. It will hopefully look almost as awesome as Kenny Powers jet ski.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Mudding

If I wreck the truck or it falls apart. I can always yank out that headliner and get $200 bucks for it from one of you guys.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:45 AM

seems a bit excessive. i used chalkboard paint and that was $8 a can and took 3 cans for the one side. i thought that $24 was too much. i think if you coated both sides in bedliner it will be pretty tough to get it back in.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see pics. I did mine myself; it works, but not the prettiest thing ever. My thought on this? I'd rather see a hundred bucks dropped on a headliner to improve aesthetics and protect from water damage than watch guys lift, trim, and equip these trucks with crap they do perfectly fine without. Nothing bleaches me more than seeing a lifted Disco with a winch, bumpers, this and that, and tires that are worn down from nothing but pavement abuse.

Theres a nice one in my neighborhood that's a damn garage queen and it drives me bonkers.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Mudding

hilltoppersx, I like cheap also but I also like to do sh.t right the first time and have it last. Not to say you didn't but I didn't want it looking like crap or retaining water, the line x guy said it would still be pliable also. I'm gonna seal these sunroofs, due to them being useless junk that will continue breaking but $80 is nothing for it to look good and last. In fact I figure this headliner will long outlast this truck. Hell it will be floating around to members of this community for decades.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jacumja
hilltoppersx, I like cheap also but I also like to do sh.t right the first time and have it last. Not to say you didn't but I didn't want it looking like crap or retaining water, the line x guy said it would still be pliable also. I'm gonna seal these sunroofs, due to them being useless junk that will continue breaking but $80 is nothing for it to look good and last. In fact I figure this headliner will long outlast this truck. Hell it will be floating around to members of this community for decades.
to each his own. sealing the sunroofs and bedlining the headboard is not my cup of tea. but hey some people like certain things, my truck is a two seater. i know loads of people who don't agree with a two seater but who cares. as long as you are happy with your truck that's all that counts!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did something similar with a car several years ago, taking off the peeling and shrinking fabric, removing all traces of old foam, then painting the molded fiber headliner several times with paint. It worked out very nice, with a bit of texture but not too rough.

I'm thinking of doing the same with my recently acquired Rover when I add the sunroofs; the rest of the interior panels aren't fabric, so a matching color will not look out of place. And it is a 4x4 for trail riding, not for shopping malls.

vince

Quick Reply: Headliner Option LINe X