Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Headliner Option LINe X

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by prairie boy
I did something similar with a car several years ago, taking off the peeling and shrinking fabric, removing all traces of old foam, then painting the molded fiber headliner several times with paint. It worked out very nice, with a bit of texture but not too rough.

I'm thinking of doing the same with my recently acquired Rover when I add the sunroofs; the rest of the interior panels aren't fabric, so a matching color will not look out of place. And it is a 4x4 for trail riding, not for shopping malls.

vince
look int he How To section there is a write up

Old 04-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright boys and girls I picked it up today from the Line X guy. Also I had him dye it tan color instead of the factory grey, don't know why I just did. he painted all of my trim pieces to match except the sunvisors which are the grey color. The only other thing grey in the truck are the nearby front windshield pillars. I just realized I probably should have gotten him to dye it grey like oem but oh well fawk it.

Name:  MyrtleBeach-20110413-00286.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  36.3 KB

Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!

How much did that run you? Looks good from far away, Got any close up shots??

Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Mudding

Really like it, was it easy to put back in? hell you could get crazy and cove the hole thing in blue masking tape,wich would act as a mold release, then cover it in fiber glass, then pull off the fiber glass and tape, then you can add storage shelfs or speakers if thats your thing, then paint to match.Or Carbon fiber, really lite and neat looking.

Last edited by ajmille; 04-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Mudding

I spent last night shaving and trimming off any excess over spray on the outside and inside openings. YOu can see what I'm talking about in the sunroof holes. Those little frays. Well they're rock hard and you can't use a sanding block to get them. Also if you have a dark colored interior get them just to line X. Its as black as oil and has this shimmery look to it but it hides all errors.

My mistake was having it sprayed in tan. All of my plastic trim pieces, map holders and such are light grey. Pretty stupid considering the only part of the car that is grey are the A/B pillars, the headliner and the roof trim. I wish they had made it match so now I'm pondering re painting the tan with a can of grey so it all matches.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Mudding

Heres a picture of it just in Line X black.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Mudding

Vince all of this I'm doing, all these "leaking sunroof" issues and you were blessed enough not to have them. Meanwhile your going to DIY give yourself the problems we waste time trying to remedy. They're not that cool, save the time and the money and put it into maintaining your rig man. Trust me you won't even want them open if your going over 45 anyway. I do however like all the natural light from the glass.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, no kidding. Mine are sealed and I never open then now. Don't want to take a chance of them not sealing back up. They don't really open all that much anyway.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all the whining I see people doing about their sunroofs leaking, not once does anyone say just where they leak from. The frame to body mounting, a cracked drain, the sunroof to frame seal, or what? How about some useful information?

Thanks,

vince

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

usually the drain tube comes loose or un-seals it self. otherwise the frame rails can malfunction causing the sunroof not to lay flat properly and allowing water in. those are the two most common leaks

Quick Reply: Headliner Option LINe X