Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

heat from center console

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat from center console

Is there supposed to be a heat shield in place under the center console? Heat is pouring up through since I had the clutch replaced. I had to take it back to get them to get my seat belt out from under the console. I didn't notice the heat till now because it was cool out when they did the work.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no heat shield. However there is a rubber foam that keeps some heat out. Are you over heating? The transmission tunnel does get really warm though.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not overheating. Just replaced all hoses and thermostat. It may be cause they didn't put console back together right then. I will try to check it today. The console itself was hot to the touch. I am usually by myself, but my Mamma was with me and noticed it. I had the cooling system drained and he did say the stuff in it was reallly thick. I asked if he thought the heat was because the coolant was too thick in the lines going to transmission and the mechanic said he didn't think so. He was going to pull the console out again. (This is not the mechanic who did the clutch--I wouldn't trust him at all after the shoddy job he did).

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if the heat is coming from the heater core. The heater core is behind the dash, directly behind the radio/air vents in the center. Take a IR thermometer and get some temperature readings all over the console. I would be interested to see what you find.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the cooling system drained and he did say the stuff in it was reallly thick. I asked if he thought the heat was because the coolant was too thick in the lines going to transmission and the mechanic said he didn't think so. He was going to pull the console out again. (This is not the mechanic who did the clutch--I wouldn't trust him at all after the shoddy job he did).

I would be very concerned! You may not want to hear this, but if you are paying other idiots to do simple things, that is two mistakes! One you do not know what they found or what they did. Two, you are not learning anything about your Discovery!

Coolant should never be thick! Are you talking about the antifreeze? What color was it? Did it have oil mixed in it?

You could have some serious issues going on and not know anything about it!

The radiator also has an oil cooler on one side and a tranny cooler on the other side as well as a towel bar tranny cooler in front of the rad.

Also, there are a few plastic plugs that fill holes under the console. If they are missing, a lot of heat comes in. Console should not be hot to touch. Also could be an electrical issue, giving you significant heat build up and a fire potential as well.

Good Luck!