Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HELP me located these components on my disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP me located these components on my disco

I have downloaded the rave manual but i find it hard to find what im looking for using it..

1998 disco v8

where is the Idle air control valve???
where is the pcv valve?
can the egr valve be cleaned?
also what are the two components that are sticking out of the top of each rocker cover... they both go into the intake mani with hoses. do they pull out?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAC valve- front of throttle body, right next to the throttle position sensor, just left of the hose you reference coming out the valve cover to the intake

PCV valve is on the passenger side valve cover, the other hose you asked about, going to the intake.

there is no EGR system on discovery's

The hoses for the PCV do just pull off the valve covers. The way the system (is suppose to) operates, is the engine pulls vacuum through the pass. side hose, through the crankcase, drawing fresh air through the hose on the drivers side via the intake. There is an oil seperator on the pass. side that often plugs, allowing crank gasses to backflow through the drivers side hose, bringing oil with it and gunking up you're throttle body.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by kenk
IAC valve- front of throttle body, right next to the throttle position sensor, just left of the hose you reference coming out the valve cover to the intake

PCV valve is on the passenger side valve cover, the other hose you asked about, going to the intake.

there is no EGR system on discovery's

The hoses for the PCV do just pull off the valve covers. The way the system (is suppose to) operates, is the engine pulls vacuum through the pass. side hose, through the crankcase, drawing fresh air through the hose on the drivers side via the intake. There is an oil seperator on the pass. side that often plugs, allowing crank gasses to backflow through the drivers side hose, bringing oil with it and gunking up you're throttle body.

thanks so much... so is the pcv removable from the pass side? mine looks really gunked up. is the oil seperator on a spring cause i pushed it down? how do i clean it?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The oil seperator is just a plastic baffle. It is suppose to be able to pull out of the housing. If you were able to push it down, good chances are it will pull out in one piece. Mine broke when I tried to remove it. Needle nose pliers help.

Use carb cleaner to clean it. If it will pull out, it makes it alot easier.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling

The oil seperator is just a plastic baffle. It is suppose to be able to pull out of the housing. If you were able to push it down, good chances are it will pull out in one piece. Mine broke when I tried to remove it. Needle nose pliers help.

wont the carb cleaner go inside the motor?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling

also how did you pull it out with pliers, there is nothing to grab onto.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I apologize in advance for this... seriously...

sell your Disco.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default on with the show...

ok, now that I got that out of my system...

What part of the RAVE are you having difficulty with? It is important that you are familiar with it and can find major components based on your RAVE research so I'd like to help you learn how to use it.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Periodically clean your TB inlet as well....I strongly DO NOT recommend using seafoam through the intake...but thats my 2 cents...seafoam in gas tank..no problem...just fyi if you were thinking about using seafoam

Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

There should be enough of the oil seperator sticking out to grab onto, like a center nub sticking up farther than the rest of the body.. If not, it may already be broke.

Carb cleaner will not hurt, as long as you don't spray the whole can in there. It's volatile enough, it will evaporate when the engine is run up to temp.

Probably best to give a couple squirts down the hose/seperator. Run it for the day. Then do again the next morning. Keep repeating until it clears up. Or if you're feeling real ambitious, the seperator can be removeed from the backside, but that requires pulling the valve cover.

Quick Reply: HELP me located these components on my disco