Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hi: New Member & New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 02:33 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi: New Member & New Engine

Hi everyone,

I’m a new member and this is my first post.
I have a 1998 NAS Disco 1. I have been reading the forum for the past few months and have gotten a lot of great info. Thanks for all the help!
My dad was a member quite a few years ago, but he’s a little older now, so the only Land Rover he wants to work on is our 1966 Series 2a (much simpler).

I recently rebuilt the engine in my Disco (original engine with 220,000 miles). I put it back in the truck about a month ago, but am having problems getting it to run right.
It idles rough with a low rpm, and has a constant miss no matter the speed.
I have replaced the following:
Fuel Injectors
Coil Pack
Plug wires
Crank Sensor
Oxygen Sensors (4)
Throttle Position Sensor
Checked the fuel pressure
Unplugged the Vehicle Speed Sensor

None of these things had any effect.
- Also took off the rocker covers yesterday to see if I had a lifter that didn’t fill with oil (causing a valve not to open all the way) or some other rocker problem. Everything looked great. I had no play at all on any of the rockers (which I assume is how it should be).

I put in new Spark Plugs during the rebuild, so 99% sure they are okay, BUT I bought another new set just to be sure. They should be here tomorrow, so I’ll put them in and see…

A few times, while sitting at a red light, the CHECK ENGINE light will flash for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. During that time, the rpms will rise and it seems like the engine is running great. When the CHECK ENGINE light stops flashing, the rpms drop and the engine runs terrible again. I'll put a picture below of all the codes it has thrown with the new engine (read with my inexpensive code reader).

At this point, I am thinking that something is wrong with my ECU. Maybe I need to get something reset such as the “base idle”??? Or I need to find a shop with a diagnostic computer that can read more specific codes from my ECU, so that I can find out exactly what the problem is.
- Anyone know of such a place in Atlanta, GA?

Any other thoughts or ideas?

The truck has been in the family since new and has been well maintained. I took my time and rebuilt the engine with great care, so I think the engine is mechanically solid.

Thanks for the help,

Attached Thumbnails Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_2528.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_2555.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_2599.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_3010.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_3232.jpg  

Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_3285.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_0975.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

You are probably closer to good than it appears at the moment. Any codes? A real time monitor that you can run on your phone from the OBDII port is a huge help in these cases.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...02/#post581013

Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 AM
4wd High

I hope I'm getting close! Wow, I had seen those wireless car code readers before, but had no idea they showed live data. I just ordered the wireless dongle from amazon for $17. Should be here in a couple days. Will let you know what I find. Thanks for the tip.

All the codes I've gotten over the past month are in the last picture of my post (the picture came out sideways when I posted it, not sure how to fix it). The codes that have been constant are: 1316 - misfire excessive emissions & 1314 - misfire right hand CAT.

The CATs are only 6 or 8 years old, so I find it hard to believe they are bad. Ive read other posts that say 1314 can be caused by some other minor little thing. One guy said the tips of his spark plugs (the plug wire side) were loose, so he tightened them and 1314 went away. I checked mine and they were tight.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Tom Rowe (antichrist) is the only member I can think of from the Atlanta area..... would that be your Pop?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Some areas to consider;

Engine mechanical fault
Low fuel pressure
Clogged fuel injectors
Faulty / worn out spark plugs
Faulty ignition coil
Faulty fuel injectors
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I was wondering the same thing as I know he had a Series

Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 PM
4wd High

Well, I guess I got confused… my dad was on a few other LR forums but not this one in particular. My bad. So no, Antichrist isn’t my dad (Unless there’s something I don’t know about...). I’ve read a lot of his posts though; he seems like he knows his stuff.

IHSCOUTS, those were my ideas too-
Fuel pressure - I’ve got 30 PSI. Just put in new fuel filter a week ago as well.

Fuel injectors - Replaced original injectors a couple weeks ago with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Man-E...72.m2749.l2649

Ignition Coil - have switched between 2 coil packs (one is original and other is from junkyard, both are good as far as I can tell)- No change

ECM - my next guess but don’t know how to check it or where to get it checked. I do have another ECM from a junkyard, but I read somewhere not to plug it in until it has been “synced” with the alarm system. Otherwise, it will disable the truck. Is this true? Anyone know where/how to get it synced????

I just replaced my new (1 month old) NGK BPR6ES spark plugs with new Champion 322/RN11YC4 spark plugs. Both sets gapped at .040 - No change.

However, on the plugs I pulled out, I found raw gas on the threads of #5 and #8. The truck hadn’t run for about a day and a half. Is this bad? Do I have leaking injectors?

Wait a minute, #5 and #8 run off of the same coil…. What are the odds that both of my coil packs have a bad coil? I will investigate tomorrow. Do these coils go bad often?

Attached Thumbnails Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_0976.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_0977.jpg   Hi: New Member & New Engine-img_0978.jpg  
Old 10-26-2017, 09:53 AM
4wd High

[I posted this a couple of days ago, but I guess it didn't go through. Not sure what happened]

Well, I guess I got confused… my dad was on a few other LR forums but not this one in particular. My bad. So no, Antichrist isn’t my dad. I’ve read a lot of his posts though; he seems like he knows a lot.

Fuel pressure - I’ve got 30 PSI. Just put in new fuel filter a week ago as well.

Fuel injectors - Replaced original injectors a couple weeks ago with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Man-E...72.m2749.l2649

Ignition Coil - have switched between 2 coil packs (one is original and other is from junkyard)- No change

ECM - my next guess but don’t know how to check it or where to get it checked. I do have another ECM from a junkyard, but I read somewhere not to plug it in until it has been “synced” with the alarm system. Otherwise, it will disable the truck. Is this true? Anyone know where/how to get it synced????

I just replaced my new (1 month old) NGK BPR6ES spark plugs with new Champion 322/RN11YC4 spark plugs. Both sets gapped at .040 - No change.

However, on the plugs I pulled out, I found raw gas on the threads of #5 and #8. The truck hadn’t run for about a day and a half. Is this bad? Do I have leaking injectors?

Wait a minute, #5 and #8 run off of the same coil…. What are the odds that both of my coil packs have a bad coil? I will investigate tomorrow. Do these coils go bad often?

Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM
4wd High

Testing.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 PM
4wd High

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason my posts have not gone through for the past couple weeks. Not sure what happened there….
This was my post from a couple of weeks ago that didn’t go through:

Well, I guess I got confused… my dad was on a few other LR forums but not this one in particular. My bad. So no, Antichrist isn’t my dad. I’ve read a lot of his posts though; he seems like he knows a lot.

Ignition Coil - have switched between 2 coil packs (one is original and other is from junkyard)- No change

Quick Reply: Hi: New Member & New Engine