Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hi: New Member & New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason my posts have not gone through for the past couple weeks. Not sure what happened there….
This was my post from a couple of weeks ago that didn’t go through:

Well, I guess I got confused… my dad was on a few other LR forums but not this one in particular. My bad. So no, Antichrist isn’t my dad. I’ve read a lot of his posts though; he seems like he knows a lot.

IHSCOUTS, those were my ideas too-

Fuel pressure - I’ve got 30 PSI. Just put in new fuel filter a week ago as well.

Fuel injectors - Replaced original injectors a couple weeks ago with these: Motor Man - EV6 4 Hole Bosch Fuel Injector Set (8) Land Rover 4.0L V8 bought on ebay.

Ignition Coil - have switched between 2 coil packs (one is original and other is from junkyard)- No change

ECM - my next guess but don’t know how to check it or where to get it checked. I do have another ECM from a junkyard, but I read somewhere not to plug it in until it has been “synced” with the alarm system. Otherwise, it will disable the truck. Is this true? Anyone know where/how to get it synced????

I just replaced my new (1 month old) NGK BPR6ES spark plugs with new Champion 322/RN11YC4 spark plugs. Both sets gapped at .040 - No change.

However, on the plugs I pulled out, I found raw gas on the threads of #5 and #8. The truck hadn’t run for about a day and a half. Is this bad? Do I have leaking injectors?

Wait a minute, #5 and #8 run off of the same coil…. What are the odds that both of my coil packs have a bad coil? I will investigate tomorrow. Do these coils go bad often?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM
4wd High

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. None of my posts have gone through, and I sent an email to the administrator under the “Contact Us” link, but never got a response.
Let’s see if this post goes through….

Still having some issues with my new engine. Both of these problems are intermittent-
1. idles rough and gallops/surges, misses pretty bad.
2. Sometimes when driving there will be a sudden power loss and the whole car will shake/shudder. Then, a few seconds later it will go away, or if it doesn’t then I’ll let off the accelerator pedal completely and then push it back down again and the shudder disappears. Also, sometimes I’ll be cruising at a steady speed and then all of a sudden I’ll feel an increase in power.

Some days it will have these problems the entire day. Some days it will start off with these problems and then they’ll suddenly go away, and vice versa. One time, I went over a speed bump, and the problems went away…. So, I am thinking theres a good chance it is a faulty connector/wire, etc….. unless that was just coincidence.

Some codes Ive been getting lately: P1316 (EVERY TIME), P1138 (OFTEN) , P0300 (SOMETIMES).

What I’ve done:
-4 new oxygen sensors
-New Throttle Position sensor
-New Crankshaft Position Sensor
-Swapped 3 sets of plug wires and 3 sets of coils
-2 sets of spark plugs
-2 Multifunction Relay Units (My original one & one I got from a junkyard)
-I cleaned the connector on the chassis above the Left Rear wheel (C407 in the Electronic Troubleshooting Manual - part of the harness that goes to the fuel pump), removed some corrosion.
-I cleaned the connector that plugs onto the fuel pump (C434 in ETM), also removed some corrosion.
-checked the ground that is behind the Left Rear speaker (E400 in ETM)
-checked all the grounds in the engine compartment
-Opened my ECM and looked at it - nothing looked burnt…..so I put it back together.
-New fuel filter
-Checked fuel pressure - about 35 psi
-Fuel pump was changed about 4 years ago

Any ideas?

Ive read that the alarm boxes aren’t very reliable. This might be a stretch, but could the alarm box be intermittently turning the immobilization on & off….
Or could it be a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor? I don’t have a spare, so I haven’t been able to swap it out.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 AM
4wd High

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. None of my posts have gone through, and I sent an email to the administrator under the “Contact Us” link, but never got a response.
Let’s see if this post goes through….

Still having some issues with my new engine. Both of these problems are intermittent-
1. idles rough and gallops/surges, misses pretty bad.
2. Sometimes when driving there will be a sudden power loss and the whole car will shake/shudder. Then, a few seconds later it will go away, or if it doesn’t then I’ll let off the accelerator pedal completely and then push it back down again and the shudder disappears. Also, sometimes I’ll be cruising at a steady speed and then all of a sudden I’ll feel an increase in power.

Some days it will have these problems the entire day. Some days it will start off with these problems and then they’ll suddenly go away, and vice versa. One time, I went over a speed bump, and the problems went away…. So, I am thinking theres a good chance it is a faulty connector/wire, etc….. unless that was just coincidence.

Some codes Ive been getting lately: P1316 (EVERY TIME), P1138 (OFTEN) , P0300 (SOMETIMES).

What I’ve done:
-4 new oxygen sensors
-New Throttle Position sensor
-New Crankshaft Position Sensor
-Swapped 3 sets of plug wires and 3 sets of coils
-2 sets of spark plugs
-2 Multifunction Relay Units (My original one & one I got from a junkyard)
-I cleaned the connector on the chassis above the Left Rear wheel (C407 in the Electronic Troubleshooting Manual - part of the harness that goes to the fuel pump), removed some corrosion.
-I cleaned the connector that plugs onto the fuel pump (C434 in ETM), also removed some corrosion.
-checked the ground that is behind the Left Rear speaker (E400 in ETM)
-checked all the grounds in the engine compartment
-Opened my ECM and looked at it - nothing looked burnt…..so I put it back together.
-New fuel filter
-Fuel pump was changed about 4 years ago

Any ideas?

Ive read that the alarm boxes aren’t very reliable. This might be a stretch, but could the alarm box be intermittently turning the immobilization on & off?….

Or could it be a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor? I don’t have a spare, so I haven’t been able to swap it out.
Or a bad Camshaft sensor? Knock sensor?

Thanks for the help.