Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How to check fuel line pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check fuel line pressure?

Newbie question - My 96 Disco has a new issue I've never seen before. It's stalling out when I stop. It starts up fine but idle is weak and it stalls when I stop. I'm thinking this could be either a dirty intake, clogged injectors, bad injectors or something like that. I wanted to first check to see if I have pressure on the fuel lines but not sure how to do that. Can anyone offer a suggestion on what tools and the best practice for troubleshooting?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your fuel pressure is fine, it is either a dirty throttle body or a bad/dirty IACV (idle air control valve)
The IACV is what lets in air to let it idle, the butterfly valve on the t-body closes completely while at idle so the IACV opens/closes to adjust the base idle speed for the engine temp.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I too would reccommend a throttle-body cleaning and run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the system, as well as checking/cleaning the IACV. check the tech section for some help on these. And , yes, you may need to check the fuel pressure at some point, on top of the engine on the passenger side, near the valve cover is the fuel rail and there is a valve there that looks like a tire valve....thats where you check the fuel pressure. You can get a gauge usually for around $25-$30.00 that screws on to the valve.......but a quick check is to just push on the valve and there should be a "spray" of fuel coming out. When measured it should be 32-36 psi.
let us know what you find

Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't worry about fuel pressure, when did you last replace your fuel filter, clean your t/body and clean the IAC? Those are the first 3 things to do along with a can of B&G's 44K in the tank to clean the injectors.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Final answer - Disco Mike wins!!

Gents, please forgive my absence on this topic. I did take Disco Mike's suggestion and got some throttle body cleaner. I pulled the truck left front tire up onto a curb so that the intake would be higher and any liquid sprayed into the throttle body would flow down into the throttle body. Bottom line - worked like a charm! I also put a bottle of seafoam into the gas tank to help clean the injectors. The truck is still running like a champ since this last post! Thanks to all and especially Disco Mike!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If your throttle plate looked gunky, where do you think that came from? There is no gas in that area. The PCV system has a line from the drive side valve cover to the throttle body. Remove and clean out the hose, and the hole it plugs into. It vents into the bottom of the throttle butterfly area.

Over on the passenger side, there is a hose that goes from valve cover to intake. At the valve cover end is an oil separator, pull that out and clean with carb cleaner. These parts make up the PCV system, which sucks oil fumes into intake to be burned. Goes into throttle body under wide open throttle conditions or if plugged up.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-24-2013 at 10:28 PM.