Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How to get shifter out of center console?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get shifter out of center console?

I've been diagnosing the problem with my shifter today (stuck in park) It looks to me like the safety for the brake pedal in order to shift out of park is in-operable. If you push the pin in manually you can shift just fine until you put it back into park. The problem I am having right now is, how the heck do you get the actual shifter out of the console? Everything has been taken appart, but the shifter assembly is wider than the hole on both the top and bottom, so it won't come out. Is there a way to disassemble the shifter assembly to get it out?

Thank you for your time!

-Ethan

Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have it disassembled down far enough,i.e.- center console removed, black plastic trim with the park,reverse,neutral,etc. on it removed, you should see a flat piece of sheetmetal with the shifter opening in the center. Around the perimeter of the sheetmetal are rivets. The rivets have to be drilled out and the sheetmetal removed.

But before you do that, did you check the usual things like fuses, brake light switch, are the brake lights coming on when you press the brakes?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Come on Phil, you know it can't be that easy. And besides disassembling the interior of the truck because of a bad switch is so much more fun.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On mine, it was the pass side taillight assy shorting thru' the stop bulb,

caused blowing of fuse #1 (15a - bottom left in cabin fusebox) which kills power to interlock solenoid.

another occurance is the high stoplight shorting to rear window defog, blows same fuse

luck,greg

Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YOU DON'T ACTUALLY REMOVE THE SHIFTER FROM THE CONSOLE, YOU REMOVE THE CONSOLE FROM AROUND THE SHIFTER.

These pics are from my CDL shifter repair.

Attached Thumbnails How to get shifter out of center console?-disco-april-2-2010-057.jpg   How to get shifter out of center console?-disco-april-2-2010-058.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Come on Phil, you know it can't be that easy. And besides disassembling the interior of the truck because of a bad switch is so much more fun.
Sshhh, dont blow my cover Tom.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha yeaaa It's looking like I'm gonna have to dig into the electrical gremlins now.. I was hoping to put that off for a bit..

It wasn't terribly hard to get that center console out, sounds like I probably did it for no reason, but atleast its all clean now! The people that had this truck before me were friggin slobbsss

Looks like now is the time to lube the crap out of the CDL and get that so it shifts again.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

As per my understanding, if your CDL doesnt shift it may not be as easy as just lubing the top up like Danny's pic. Danny actually has some pretty good info in a differentthread regarding the CDL, find it here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...tenance&page=2
near the bottom of the page. May want to leave that console out while you think about that CDL

good luck

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The two pics I posted may be misleading, they are just views after tearing the CDL shifter completely down, replacing a few small highly corroded parts, cleaning it really good, reassembling, then filling all the open spaces with the thick red Lucas Gear Lube during reassembly.

Mine was severely nasty and corroded. I took it completely out and disassembled it all the way. It now works "Smooth as Butter" both for CDL and High/Low. Mine would shift high to low and back but would not engage CDL, I also had to replace the CDL shifter Switch.

You can put a wrench on the lower pivot point and rotate it that way. I had to do that to get it to move initially. Spray it real good for several days in advance with PB Blaster to help free it up.