Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How I spent My Memorial Day Weekend

Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How I spent My Memorial Day Weekend

I took advantage of the long weekend to nail a few of my long-term maintenance items. This is what I accomplished.

Replaced oil pan gasket. There was no gasket on mine, just some old sealant of some kind. I torqued the new gasket down to spec, but it still squished it a bit. I also used Hylomar Blue, which added some extra sealing. Hopefully the leak is fixed!

Replaced upper and lower oil cooler lines. This was an easy job. Took about an hour. This was one of my nastier leaks, so hopefully it is solved for good; or until they fail again someday.

Replaced all springs and shocks with OME HD, 2-inch lift kit. Took most of the day Sunday, but it was a fairly simple procedure. The truck looks GREAT! The ride is nice and firm.

Replaced a cracked rear side marker. Been wanting to do this for years but never ordered the part until recently.

Next on the list:

Replace suspension bushings. I have the rubber bushing kit. I need to get some quotes from local shops to see who will do it for the best price. I don't have a press and don't feel comfortable using caveman methods to extract and replace the fitted bushings.

I am also planning on having all the steering ball joints and any in the rear link (I think there are one or two back there) replaced when the bushings are done. Then I can get an alignment and all should be solid.

Once these items are completed, it is time for a roof basket and maybe some new HD bumpers. New tires too, but my 7-year-old Toyo A/Ts have plenty of tread on them (only 20K miles in that period).

Whew! And like Spike mentioned in his weekend maintenance post, I am SORE!!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One More Item

It just occurred to me that I need to replace the cruise control switch. I have the part; just need to install it.

Sigh...

It never ends.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Good for you man.