Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How to Lube/Grease D1 Front and Rear Drive Shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010 | 10:36 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default How to Lube/Grease D1 Front and Rear Drive Shafts?

Can someone point me to a thread, external site, or just tell me here how to lube the front and rear drive shafts on a 1997 D1?

Like, where are all the grease fittings, which type of grease gun and grease should be used, etc.

I assume they are serviceable with the exception of the rotoflex in the rear.

Yes?

This seems like a good candidate for the D1 tech section, but I don't see it there.

Cheers and Thanks!

- Chris (aka LeakyDisco)

Old 09-15-2010 | 12:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

grease fittings are on the shaft and the ujoints, standard grease gun and standard duty grease.

Old 09-15-2010 | 06:03 AM
Baja

There's a thread here about rebuilding propshafts that includes lubing them. Unfortunately it's only linked under the DII section for some reason.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302

Old 09-15-2010 | 10:18 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Thanks, guys!

Looking forward to getting under the truck this weekend and blasting those shafts full of grease.

I love this site!

Old 09-15-2010 | 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antichrist
There's a thread here about rebuilding propshafts that includes lubing them. Unfortunately it's only linked under the DII section for some reason.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302
I thought I put it in the DI section too?

Old 09-16-2010 | 07:11 AM
Baja

My bad, you did. Hadn't looked in a while.
Sorry.

Old 09-16-2010 | 10:04 AM
Administrator

So, you are not very mechanical, based on your questions. Have you ever greased, not blasted U-Joints before?
How familiar are you with your truck and what needs to be done to maintain it?

Old 09-16-2010 | 12:59 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So, you are not very mechanical, based on your questions. Have you ever greased, not blasted U-Joints before?
How familiar are you with your truck and what needs to be done to maintain it?
I am actually fairly mechanical, though I haven't regularly worked on cars since I was in my late teens/early 20s. I used to do my own brakes and a few other tinkerings under the supervision of my father, who used to be a mechanic.

Now, I spend most of my day on the computer writing software, but I have begun a quest to do most of the work on my truck, which I am becoming more familiar with every day, thanks to poking around the vehicle, and to the helpful folks on this site (including you).

The term "blast" was merely a figure of speech meant to express my excitement over something as trivial as greasing u-joints--something I have never done before.

Cheers,

- Chris

Old 09-16-2010 | 02:32 PM

One good way to learn it is to lay underneath it on a creeper and see if you can identify the basic pieces of the various systems. Get you a creeper from Harbor Freight if you don't have a good one already. They have a nice molded low profile heavy duty six wheel unit for 30 bucks on sale.

Figure out what is what. Take some pics of it. See what is leaking and from where.

Clean the various items that look like they need it, spray the drain plugs with PB Blaster. Go get you all the various fluids for an oil change, diff fluid change, tranny and transfer case. You should get fresh fluids in them right away so you got a good baseline.

Get your hands dirty and look it over good to see what may need attention.

Download the RAVE, print the sections you need and get started.

Old 09-16-2010 | 04:38 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
One good way to learn it is to lay underneath it on a creeper and see if you can identify the basic pieces of the various systems. Get you a creeper from Harbor Freight if you don't have a good one already. They have a nice molded low profile heavy duty six wheel unit for 30 bucks on sale.

Figure out what is what. Take some pics of it. See what is leaking and from where.

Clean the various items that look like they need it, spray the drain plugs with PB Blaster. Go get you all the various fluids for an oil change, diff fluid change, tranny and transfer case. You should get fresh fluids in them right away so you got a good baseline.

Get your hands dirty and look it over good to see what may need attention.

Download the RAVE, print the sections you need and get started.
A creeper is definitely on my short list of "tools" to acquire. I've been getting dirty rolling around the garage floor, and it will be cold here soon, which means cold floor.

I've identified two oil leaks (upper cooler hose and oil pan leaking from bolts). My shortlist includes changing out both cooler lines and replacing the pan gasket (and maybe the bolts/nuts if I can find new ones). Both of those jobs seem straightforward.

I had a shop do all the transfer case, tranny, and differential oils within the last 2 years, but I plan on doing it again myself, and adding that to my regular maintenance schedule. She gets oil changes every 3000 miles, though that comes infrequently given my driving habits, so I plan on increasing changes to once every 3 months.

Those are just the immediate things I need to take care of.

Quick Reply: How to Lube/Grease D1 Front and Rear Drive Shafts?