Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How To: Mount Highlift To Tire Carrier For $5.28

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

chains just seem like SUCH a pain. But I guess you could keep them in a bag or something.. I just was always taught NEVER use chains for recovery.. I see why they do, its easy to use with the highlift accessories and, if the chain breaks they say it just falls..

Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have used these chains to pull people out of the ditch with the tractor when I was growing up and living on a dirt road that never got plowed.
Pulled tree stumps out of the ground, pulled dead cars out behind the barn...chains never wear out.
But yeah, like you said, using the chain accessory why not?
I dont know man, what ever it takes to get unstuck right?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alice in CHAINS

Who says chains are no good for recovery? EVERY ship in the world uses chains for lifting & securing, EVERY truck on the road has 'em... cranes, trailers, plow safety chains, logging.... all these require extreme safety measures and chains are in integral part of their operation.

Chains are not easily damaged from abrasion like rope and wire either. AND HF stuff is just plain old not good crap to buy; not to mention I hate buying anything made in China. I happily spend an extra 5 - 10% for goods made of a better quality and by ANYONE else.

Spence, you must take good care of that lift; OR you paint it alot for all the use it gets.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Who says chains are no good for recovery? EVERY ship in the world uses chains for lifting & securing, EVERY truck on the road has 'em... cranes, trailers, plow safety chains, logging.... all these require extreme safety measures and chains are in integral part of their operation.

Chains are not easily damaged from abrasion like rope and wire either. AND HF stuff is just plain old not good crap to buy; not to mention I hate buying anything made in China. I happily spend an extra 5 - 10% for goods made of a better quality and by ANYONE else.

Spence, you must take good care of that lift; OR you paint it alot for all the use it gets.
As I said I have another one coming in.. By highlift.. I bought this one for a body lift.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Chains, with a safe WLL, are fine for static recovery. I use them often.
What they are not safe for is dynamic recovery as the load on them can increase exponentially and suddenly and overload them. Plus the fact that they are a shock load to vehicles, which is not good.

The problem with chains is that it's common for someone, when a steady pull doesn't work, to get a bit of a running start and yank, then you get the shock loading.

Also, they don't just drop to the ground when they break, because they actually do stretch, just like wire rope. Broken chain will recoil, I've had it happen.

Last edited by antichrist; 11-27-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
Chains, with a safe WLL, are fine for static recovery. I use them often.
What they are not safe for is dynamic recovery as the load on them can increase exponentially and suddenly and overload them. Plus the fact that they are a shock load to vehicles, which is not good.

The problem with chains is that it's common for someone, when a steady pull doesn't work, to get a bit of a running start and yank, then you get the shock loading.

Also, they don't just drop to the ground when they break, because they actually do stretch, just like wire rope. Broken chain will recoil, I've had it
happen.
Seen it happen too and anyone who shatches with a chain gets what they deserve... hurt. That's what straps and better yet kinetic ropes are for. I worked on large vessels and a harbor tug and I've seen everything break at one time or another. Not what I was talking about...

The point I was referring to was using chains with a hi-lift per the thread. Spike mentioned 12k lb. chains he carries for use with his hi-lift when using it as a come-along. in that case they are perfectly suitable as long as their rated working load is greater than your needs.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 11-27-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
sweet!!

Yea.. As you can see I will be carrying mine from now on..

I would love to use it as a winch but WOULD HATE carrying chains.
You can just use a strap... so long as it is over-rated for the job. A good 8k to 10k lb. strap should do just fine. Just never, never (NEVER) join two or more straps with shackles in the middle (kinda what Tom was talking about). If you need something longer then find something longer. If one of the "joined" straps breaks under a few thousand pounds of tension then that shackle is gonna ****** back and really screw someone's day.

Spike loves to say K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).
Try this one:
-Keep
-it
-Safe
-Spence

or

H.C.K.M.B.E..........

Harbor Freight
Can
Kiss
My
Brown
Eye

not very catchy I'll admit but I like it.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 11-27-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Pro Wrench

stay tuned.. Soon Ill have a awesome cb antenna mount and "Genuine" Land Rover Seat Covers for 25$ Each..

And some 255/85/16s..... And home made mudflaps!!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If using a strap just make sure it's not one for dynamic recovery, otherwise it'll just stretch when using it in winching.
Also, if you join straps with something like a rolled up magazine, that is safe. If one of the straps breaks the magazine will just unroll.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Quick Reply: How To: Mount Highlift To Tire Carrier For $5.28