Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I can only buy one... Disco or Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Along that line of thought why not just get a LR3

Old 09-25-2017, 07:57 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Friend of mine had a Land Cruiser in his shop few weeks ago. We got to talking part prices.
Some of the Toyota parts are cheap, as you would expect, only the LC shares very few parts with other Toyotas. Land Cruiser part prices are very expensive!
Way, way more than Discovery part prices.
$1500 Disco with $10500 to spend would make a great rock crawling daily driver.
If money is no object, get the Land Cruiser.

I belive I told OffRoadFrance a while back that Land Cruiser parts were cheap here! Ha! My appologies man, I hadn't checked prices on them in a long time.
It's to be expected with alot of "one vehicle specific" parts, but man are they high!

Last edited by Sixpack577; 09-25-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Friend of mine had a Land Cruiser in his shop few weeks ago. We got to talking part prices.
Some of the Toyota parts are cheap, as you would expect, only the LC shares very few parts with other Toyotas. Land Cruiser part prices are very expensive!
Way, way more than Discovery part prices.
$1500 Disco with $10500 to spend would make a great rock crawling daily driver.
If money is no object, get the Land Cruiser.

I belive I told OffRoadFrance a while back that Land Cruiser parts were cheap here! Ha! My appologies man, I hadn't checked prices on them in a long time.
It's to be expected with alot of "one vehicle specific" parts, but man are they high!
Yeah some Toyota parts are kinda pricey.

For example, the transfer case on a newer Tacoma takes 75W oil that only Toyota makes. It's about $50 a quart, and the transfer case takes 1.1 quarts. Kinda frustrating, waste of $45. The diffs take a different oil so you can't use the rest in those. I think my 4Runner is the same.

They do stuff like that, but with that said, I'll still take the Land Cruiser.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Yeah some Toyota parts are kinda pricey.

For example, the transfer case on a newer Tacoma takes 75W oil that only Toyota makes. It's about $50 a quart, and the transfer case takes 1.1 quarts. Kinda frustrating, waste of $45. The diffs take a different oil so you can't use the rest in those. I think my 4Runner is the same.

They do stuff like that, but with that said, I'll still take the Land Cruiser.
While I agree that stuff can be annoying, its prolly why, hands down they are a far more reliable longer lasting, lasting value vehicle that has aged quite well. I love my Disco but no one can deny the reliability of the LC.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

LC upgrade parts are outrageous. Forget maintenance costs. They are obviously reliable. So maintenance isn't a huge expense. But start shopping for lifts racks and other goodies they are twice what they run for the Disco.

The LC is going to be infinity better on the highway. It will have more power. Better gas mileage. More grunt. Less worries. However it's hard to beat a well prepared Disco off road.

I personally would still like the Discovery. But if your goal is sheer function and reliability get the Toyota. Have fun blending in with the masses.