Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I think I screwed the pooch on this one! I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I think I screwed the pooch on this one! I need help.

Go ahead and call me a dumb you-know-what, I probably deserve it. So I was attempting to separate the transfer case from the 5 speed in a 95 D1 and I think I ended up splitting the case on the transmission instead. I'm not 100% sure but it looks that way. I wasn't expecting to see a ton of gears once it came apart. It's not all the way apart either which poses a problem in getting it out. So my question is, how much damage is done already and where do I go from here. And most importantly, what did I do wrong? Original issue is the clutch needs to be changed. I decided to remove the transfer case first instead of havin to remove the transmission and transfer case on one huge piece - which in hindsight is what I probably should have done

Pics as it sits now until I decide how to proceed.

Attached Thumbnails I think I screwed the pooch on this one! I need help.-image.jpeg  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Looks like your yank'n a sandwich plate between the trans and transfer case. The gear(s) is the mainshaft input gear from the transfer case. I'd say keep pulling as long as you have everything disconnected from the transfer case. Keep an eye on the sandwich plate, if it looks like it goes with the transfer case keep on rolling. If it resists, keep it with the transmission extension housing.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks IHSCOUTS; Everything went awry when I mistook the extension housing (I've been reading up on it after the fact, duh!) for the transfer case. It's my first time ever dealing with a transfer case. The light bulb went off and after walking away for about an hour, so I went back out to look at it again. Immediately saw where I went wrong. Long story short, the transfer case is now out (I took it out by itself, first) and so is the extension housing. Now at least I can take out the transmission which should be pretty straightforward - not today though! Sucks because I expected to have both out today; oh well, you live and you learn as they say. BTW, there's a little oil screen in the bottom of the transmission that you can see with the extension housing removed; a few metal flakes there, ugh. So I might be having to go through the transmission anyway.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Camel Trophy

We've all learned from these trucks, takes time, ***** (no fear aside from $$$), and patience. They're fun after you get warm and fuzzy with em a couple of times.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
We've all learned from these trucks, takes time, ***** (no fear aside from $$$), and patience. They're fun after you get warm and fuzzy with em a couple of times.
I notice that they seem pretty easy to wrench on, so far anyway. The only problems I've run into we're of my own ignorance; like today; and yesterday when I completely disassembled the parking brake to remove it when I could of, and eventually did, just disconnect it inside the cab. I should probably read the manual, huh? I'm definitely not scared to work on it; like you mentioned though, some mistakes = $$.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Camel Trophy

This forum is built on mistakes and lessons learned. Everybody here has been humbled many a time by the all mighty Rover. They are dead simple, but it takes awhile to figure it out. The Brits did do some homework (better than AMC) to take a pile of parts and make them work. The Disco was the Freelander of it's day, it was the "inexpensive" model. I think the only couple of things not gleaned off of another vehicle are the roof (Greyhound bus maybe), the hood, the rear cargo door (life boat hatch) and the rear quarters.......