Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ignition problem '98 Disco v8

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem '98 Disco v8

Hi everyone,

(My English is week. Sorry about that.) I have a problem my 98 Disco v8. I took a quick look some forum but didn't see same issue. Maybe similiar but not same exactly.

Shortly; When I start engine first time it's ok for all. Engine is working good. Than I kill the engine after 5 - 20 minutes (for take some gas or stop by the market) than engine is not working this time. Crank is spinning but not start the engine. Maybe 5 minutes I wait than try again, engine is starting. Another interesting situation is when the weather is cold, engine works very fine each tine. But I'm having this problem when closer to the summer. 2 years have pass and it never did in the winter. Hot is the key I gues. All igniton system checked and some changed. But still goes this uncertain problem.

Again summer is coming and problem is growing Maybe you give me some suggestion. What can I do more? Anybody live on an issue like this one?

Cheers,
Sertan..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Very common issue. The crank shaft position sensor is failing. It can be restored when hot by pouring cold water on it. As it gets worse, it will keep truck from running at all. To verify, get a spare spark plug and carry with you. When this happens, remove a plug wire and attached spare plug, lay on manifold, crank truck, check for spark. No spark in this situation is almost always crank shaft position sensor.

The sensor is about $70 (US) and an hour or so to istsall. Ceratinly a do it yourself project if you like. Here's same pages on the sensor, who ever replaces it needs to be sure that every nut and spacer goes back in exact order - or the spacing will be off and truck won't crank.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (103.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 AM
5th Gear

Thanks your reply. I heard this crank sensor issue but when I said my services last year they said to me this model have not cranck shaft p. sensor. a little bit insisted they look again the vehicle and some pdf than said again same thing; 'have not'. Now, you said again that famous sensor Also I sent your pdf to my service. Maybe they did big mistake. So I hope

Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

The 98 certainly has a crank shaft postion sensor. See pix attached, although from a D2, this is where they will find it. The connector is shown, the sensor is under the box cover below it. No one's engine is this clean.....

Attached Files
ckp pix.pdf (46.9 KB, 373 views)
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM
5th Gear

My truck is 3.9 lt. EFI Auto. I searched and saw something, there is different engine size on 94-98 v8 engines. 3.5, 3.9, 4.0, 4.6 lt. Every one may diffirent I guess. I talked the service and ask please look again but answer is same. My truck is there now. They look your pdf and search again but did not find again. They said your pdf explains maybe 4.0 or 4.6 lt engine. Than I want to ask; Are all crank shaft sensor of 96-99 v8 same?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

OK - so you are located where? If you have the 3.9 engine, then yes, you have a distributor, and no CKP is fitted. The distributor based vehicles have a common problem with the amplifier for the distributor. Z139 in attached drawing. Right at the distributor.

Attached Files
dizzy amp.pdf (24.7 KB, 511 views)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The 98 certainly has a crank shaft postion sensor. See pix attached, although from a D2, this is where they will find it. The connector is shown, the sensor is under the box cover below it. No one's engine is this clean.....
Only the NAS versions have the crank sensor Buzz, all others use the 3.9 with a dizzy until the DII which came out in '98, '99 in the NAS market.

It is his fuel temp sensor, left hand side of engine on the fuel rail, buy a new one and then look for the old one on the engine, unhook it, unscrew it, no fuel will come out.
Screw in the new one, plug it back in.
You should be good to go after that.
The other likely culprit is the ignition amp module.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 AM
5th Gear

I live in Turkey. So do you mean 'distributor ignition module'? Black little thing between the left headlamp and radiator. I ask because we changed that a new one. And correctly performed thermal paste between aluminum plate. But nothing changed.

Spike555; when the situation is going, the coil is not powered. it haven't electric. I don't know how is explain. Something cut the electric and not allow. The fuel temp sensor do like that?

Another friend said too maybe have a faulty ecu coolent temp sensor. I took a quick look but nothing find useful. Somebody wrote this coolant temp sensor is a diesel equipment. Confused :|

Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM
8th Gear

I have the same issue.
96 disco: cranks but no start. (no spark)
I have Direct Ignition. Where is the Ignition control module?
How do I test it?

Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM
8th Gear

My issue turned out to be a poor connection to the ECU.
Victim: 96 discovery 4.0 w/ direct ignition.

CLUES:
1. No spark
2. CEL does not come on when key is turned to accessory.
3. Power locks were not working

SOLUTION:
I unplugged the 2 ECU connectors. Painted them with Spark plug boot grease. (conductive grease to bridge gaps, inprove connection, seal out dirt and water.)

Started right up.

Quick Reply: Ignition problem '98 Disco v8