Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ignition switch illuminated color ring- on all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ignition switch illuminated color ring- on all the time?

Hi guys. Finally got around to replacing the ignition assembly and steering lock on the disco with manual tranny. The kit came from Brit part with new keys and looked great! Once installed- the illuminated color ring is on all the time. I have no comparison, as the old one never worked.
Advice? All the connectors are checked and truck starts and runs fine. I don’t want the batttey to drain. Many thanks!
Jim

Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Fwiw, Mine is green and does not stay illuminated. I believe it comes on when the door is open.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 AM
Mudding
Default Door switches

i should add, that with the center headliner light switch in the upper off position the ignition light “ red ring” does turn off. When the headliner light switch is in the “ middle position” is what keeps the red ignition ring illuminated all of the time.
Maybe the new ignition is fine and I have a bad door switch somewhere?? I will keep looking. Other forums have noted this condition:
” truck has always done that”
”I took the bulb out”
etc etc
I do not want a constant draw on the battery- so for now will just keep the interior dome lights turned off completely.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Correction, mine is amber/orange. Wife’s is green.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Mudding
Default Update

Just wanted to update this thread. Action steps so far:
1. Removed the MFU from behind drivers fuse panel. Checked for corrosion and that all plugs were secure.
2. Removed the airbag knee bar to make sure that nothing in the ignition harness was getting pinched or wear spots with any zip ties.
3. Cleaned and replaced the 3 associated fuses with MFU
4. Replaced the (5) door switches
5. Checked all grounds at battery, chassis and starter
7. Removed the britpart ignition assembly in favor of the Lucas version which is hopefully better quality.

Will post up more when everything is buttoned up. Fingers crossed that this is solved!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very curious to see what you find out, my ignition ring in my newest D1 was staying illuminated, the trailer light fuse was pulled which seemed to resolve that, but I have some other strange electrical gremlins that I believe are associated / connected to the MFU (I plan to pull & possibly replace it)

Rear window defrost does not work
Rear window wash does not work
Headlight washers do not work
Dome lights work when the doors are open but shut off completely when the switch is manually turned to "ON"

All other systems related to the MFU seem to function properly

Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Mudding
Default Solution found

So replacing the britpart ignition switch with a Lucas kit solved the initial problem. However, I wanted the dome light timer to work properly also. I removed the MFU and cleaned and inspected it- mixed result. After a few attempts at it- I opted for a new MFU from dealer. They are about to discontinue these- so if you are keeping your Disco long term, you might consider getting a brand new one and being 100% done with all the light issues. Very happy to have this resolved! The 1st trip into the fuse panel was a few hours, the last trip in to replace MFU was 20 min. The learning curve applies!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench

What was the cost for a new one? And part number if you remember.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Mudding

AMR1280, special order at dealer. They quoted list at $465!! Selling prices all over the map. Fleabay has some listed at $45. In my case, the Trek deserves new parts when still available. Whatever you choose- the important thing is these electrical issues are all fixable.