Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I'm BACK!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to get the truck here first. Yesterday I put new valve cover gaskets in my F350, on the pair, all but 4 bolts where already so loose you could turn them buy hand!!! The gaskets came out in multiple pieces. Was hoping that would solve this oil leak I have in the rear of the engine, but although it should help a great deal, it's still looking like I'm going to have to pull the trans and replace the rear main seal (and the oil pan gasket while I'm at it)... always something.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a group in Australia that had adapters for a 350 GM motor.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I've read that thread several times already. My problem is the adapter plate and bushing needed to use the R380. The adapters available I have seen are for mounting the OM617 to the auto tranny. The adapter should be the same, but the fitting of the clutch is where I see the issue. Also, no one offers the adapter anymore that I can find. Rod Davis in VA was working on a kit, but no more info is available since Pirate ticked him off.
I emailed Rod Davis multiple times about the conversion myself. since you reminded me, I'm hit him up again right now... His kit was a full bolt in job, If I recall he was shooting for the 3k mark. One of the issue he was trying to overcome was the shift points of the ZF behind the merc. (which I think he did figure out) plus of course the custom fab of engine mounts, the oil pan etc. Last I heard from him he was setting up a defender, and said it would be some time before he got back to the disco, That was in June of 2011.

I would much rather have a manual behind the engine than the Auto. I want to pick when to shift. Manuals tend to be hardier and much easier to work on in the long run in my opinion. I see plenty of adapters out there for the toyota 5 speed, and also a couple for the ford and chevy crew, plus of course a kit for jeep owners.

I'm thinking mating it to the 5 speed would be much simpler?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
I emailed Rod Davis multiple times about the conversion myself. since you reminded me, I'm hit him up again right now... His kit was a full bolt in job, If I recall he was shooting for the 3k mark. One of the issue he was trying to overcome was the shift points of the ZF behind the merc. (which I think he did figure out) plus of course the custom fab of engine mounts, the oil pan etc. Last I heard from him he was setting up a defender, and said it would be some time before he got back to the disco, That was in June of 2011.

I would much rather have a manual behind the engine than the Auto. I want to pick when to shift. Manuals tend to be hardier and much easier to work on in the long run in my opinion. I see plenty of adapters out there for the toyota 5 speed, and also a couple for the ford and chevy crew, plus of course a kit for jeep owners.

I'm thinking mating it to the 5 speed would be much simpler?
That's the issue. I don't want to spend $3k for a kit that is for the wrong tranny. If he'd sell just the engine to tranny adapter. I'd do the rest. The only way I have to make an adapter is with a cutting torch and drill press. Not a pretty sight.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
There was a group in Australia that had adapters for a 350 GM motor.
Chevy V6 & V8

Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Cool, but still not the mercedes engine...

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM

If you can determine what it would require, you could get one fabbed up.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 AM
TReK

If you can determine what it would require, you could get one fabbed up.
Yeah, my only issue is I don't want the Disco down for several months. If I could get the adapter, then prefab the mounts(easy job), and gather the components(flywheel from a OM615 I think) and the correct clutch and fabbed pilot bushing, then the project could be done in a few days to a week. If I have to fab the adapter, it will add a lot more down time as I would need to pull both engines so i could match the OM617 pattern to the R380 pattern.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

If I have to fab the adapter, it will add a lot more down time as I would need to pull both engines so i could match the OM617 pattern to the R380 pattern.

Maybe someone can provide you the data? I think there are a few members who have one or the other available....

Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
TReK

If I have to fab the adapter, it will add a lot more down time as I would need to pull both engines so i could match the OM617 pattern to the R380 pattern.

Maybe someone can provide you the data? I think there are a few members who have one or the other available....
Some that have the pattern have yet to return emails. Others say to do it yourself. And currently no one is selling one or offering to make one. If I had a shop to work in, I'd do it. But it rains 13+ feet a year here and I don't have a garage and work will not allow me to bring in personal vehicles(the whole, shop is in a secure area of the airport, thing).

The main reason for minimizing downtime is that the Disco is the family rig. And my wife does not want me to get another vehicle so I can do the conversion. Yup, life sucks, but there's always cookies and milk!

Quick Reply: I'm BACK!