Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The Infamus 98 Discovery PART 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation The Infamus 98 Discovery PART 1

I snapped shots of every area of my current Disco, needing repairs, replacement or that is generally worn. I'm certain that this disco needs more work overall then the 96 disco that I may get. You guys have helped me a lot in my decisions and repairs, so now I'm asking you to advise me as to my options for the future:
- Do I keep my 98 and ATTEMPT to get her up back on line and road legal? Forget about the 96?
- Buy the 96 Disco and use parts from my 98 to get the 96 fixed up and road legal (like the axle for example)
- Do I sell my 98 as is and use the money towards parts for the 96?
- Any other options?

Front lower bumper has been removed.
Name:  IMAG0135.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  40.6 KB

Front passenger side blinker has been pushed out of socket. Brush guard is miss shapen.
Name:  IMAG0129.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  60.1 KB

Front drivers side portion of brush guard is also miss shapen.
Name:  IMAG0132.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  40.6 KB

Rear bumper is lose and partially damaged. Cargo door handle is rusted and lever is broken, door has to be opened from inside. Cargo door needs new washes and bolts.
Name:  IMAG0125.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  36.0 KB

Fuel door was busted off.
Name:  IMAG0127.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  62.1 KB

Wiper motor needs to be replaced. Washer motor does not spray washer fluid.
Name:  IMAG0154.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  35.6 KB

Front passenger side door panel is dented to hell. Bulges out
Name:  IMAG0133.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  61.5 KB

Front drivers side door panel has several hammer marks in it.
Name:  IMAG0128.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  52.1 KB

Headlight housing is damages, as a result headlights fall out of socket whenever vehicle rides over bumps.

Part of the grill assembly which holds headlights up is missing.
Name:  IMAG0140.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  41.7 KB

Passenger side rear wheel arch area is rusted through. Will not pass inspection, cheap patching will not pass inspection either! In the state of NH.
Name:  IMAG0177.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  44.2 KB

Inside of of front tires is worn down significantly. May indicates problem with tire rods or bearings. Rear tires do not have equal consistent wearing. Need 4 new tires at the least.
Name:  IMAG0160.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  38.2 KB

Rear driveshaft is damaged. U-joints need to be replaced as well.
Name:  IMAG0110.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  41.2 KB

Bottom portion of brush guard is rusted, and miss shapen to hell.
Name:  IMAG0156.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  45.3 KB

Green fluid, possible small coolant leak? Areas somewhat rusty and dirty.
Name:  IMAG0145.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  45.8 KB

All new cheap wires installed, but engine still missfires, and the area is rusty.
Name:  IMAG0146.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  39.6 KB

To the left is the washer fluid reservoir. Again rusty.
Name:  IMAG0148.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  40.1 KB

Vied directly below power steering reservoir, red hose may also need to be replaced, its saturated in fluid.
Name:  IMAG0144.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  34.1 KB

Here is the power steering hose that needs to be replaced. I asked about how to take it off in an eailer post. The silver box in the pic is part of the timming belt mechanism, think that needs to be removed in order to.reach the bolt underneath it in order to take the.hose off.
Name:  IMAG0142-1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Wow that truck looks beat.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Banned

Yes. I bought it back on December from a guy in town. The oil was real low, what remained was old and nasty. Air filter was pure black and the rubber molding on the air filter was partially melted. Spark plugs were brown colored, headliner was removed, headlights were lose, automatic shifter **** is missing coponets, missalighnment. Steering damper was shot. Heater was clogged and broken etc. A real pieace of work. I bought the disco because it was in town, was very excited about buying my first land rover, and I though I could get her all fixed up. I've started the relentless process but, the list of work is very discourageing.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buying another beat disco won't help this one, you need to pay the money to get a nice well maintained one, you will be money ahead. you probably won't fnd one up north they will all be rust buckets.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's your budget? Are you going to be doing all (most) of the work yourself? This one and that white one, would make for some unbelievable "rescue" projects and I applaud you do end up tackling one of those beasts.

You can check out this thread (if you haven't already) for some encouragment. His starting canvas wasn't nearly as gnarly as yours are, but shows some out of the box ideas and some incredible metal and welding work --> https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...my-ride-31695/

Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Winching

Mine wasn't that bad ans still isn't that rusted and I live in Canada. No rust holes in the floor pans which is quite surprising. But the door skins are slowly detaching themselves from the doors.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am SO glad we dont have vehicle inspections here.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am SO glad we dont have vehicle inspections here.
My budget is cheap... I'm only a 23 year old college student with ft job. I was hoping to find a decent rover for around $2,500-3000. However never was good at putting my money away long enough to save that much. Was hoping to find a decent rover I could make payments on privately and or throw in any money I got from selling my 98 disco. But as it is no one will buy this truck. So ... I've decided to take everyone's advice and not go for the 96. What I did not mention before is this: the guy is in a hurry to get his 96 off his property, says he has to many cars as it is. So he agreed to accept monthly payments of around $300 for it. He would allow me to take the 96 home now via a tow truck but he would keep the title till its paid... But iv decided not to go for it. If I ever got another rover.now payments via contract where seller holds the title is the best I can do.

As for the 98 I'm going to keep working on her. First I'm getting the replacement rear driveshaft which I will be installing personally. Then I'm going to buy a complete ignition coil pack, then a new headgasket kit. Connector rods, engine mount... Not sure of what else I should get for the engine. And recommendations? I'll buy the parts for the engine re build prior to bring the disco to a shop. I'm hoping the entire job parts and labour will be under $3000 but we will see. Then after that's done ill work on the tires and tire rods, bearings and alighnment. Then abs and Srs.

By the way where the hell do you reside needing no inspection?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take this as you will.....but i wouldnt bother with either land rover honestly....you will have so much money sunk in those vehicles that you could probably buy one in pristine condition. I mean you will have 6000 thousands sunk in witih either vehicle really.

why not hunt for a good deal on an already fixed up disco on ebay locally or craigslist.

I know you can get numerous in my area within 200 miles that have lockers lift rebuilt engines and such for about 5000-6500 for a D1, and good conditioned D2 start at that price

Your a college student as you mentioned so why would you want a money pit? Why not get a jeep cherokee (i know people might flame me on this) but it would by a cheap 4x4 with cheap parts if your looking for a project vehicle

Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default State of Confusion

Florida is good for that... no inspections I mean.

I've gotten dizzy keeping track of all your posts.

If the guy really is desperate he'll give it away and not maintain the high price and allow you to make payments. Here is a bit of advice and it's free... don't make payments... pay cash when possible. Credit sucks and will get you into trouble most likely at some point.

It is possible to hold off on the Rover dream for a few years until you are done with school and have some more time and cash ya know. Maybe just get a Toy-Hon-Maz-Baru or something like that and get yourself from a to b cheaply so you can save up for a decent rover?????

I promise to take good care of my trucks... If or when I sell them you'll have the money to afford one of them (maybe)

Quick Reply: The Infamus 98 Discovery PART 1