Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Interlock Diodes Z189/Z190 location.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Interlock Diodes Z189/Z190 location.

Long back story. TC shift interlock solenoid works but the circuit does not. CDL linkage is perfect. I have Hi lock/unlock but CDL shifter will not go into neutral or low. Pin will not retract. I'm hoping somebody here has found the diodes location since the Rave is ambiguous and I have two 30A fuses in place of the diode locale which is near the Interlock Relays K151 and K153. The diodes are spliced in and I couldn't even find the splices.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it is DannyLee who has a write up on how to pull the solenoid, if you want to go that route.
Otherwise I am of no help.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Camel Trophy

I found I can reach the solenoid from under the truck so I won't sully my beautiful pop rivet job. I guess this is kind of a fun project. Neither Interlock Relay is pulling in although the Transmission Interlock works flawless. I wonder how many have actually dove in this far to the electrical on these pigs. I cannot believe (shaking head) how much crap they stuffed under the dash. I'm just giving this one last shot before I continue making my truck look like a Series inside. It's naked but for the dash, two seats and four door skins sans pockets.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you see this in electrical manual?

ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
Interlock Diode 1 (Z189) . . . . .
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

Main Wire Harness near Cruise Control ECU . . . . . .
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
Interlock Diode 2 (Z190) . . . . .
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

Main Wire Harness near Cruise Control ECU . . . . .
Á . ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
Interlock Relay 1 (K153) . . . . .
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

behind LH side of fascia above glove box . . . . . . . .
Á . ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

86 . . . . . . . . . . 237
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ
Interlock Relay 2 (K151) . . . . .
ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ

behind LH side of fascia above glove box . .

No pix for diodes listed.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you want to fight the little electrical problems with the TC shift lock solenoid...why dont you just take it out and never worry about it?

That solenoid is prone to go out very often and it costs big dollars for a purpose designed for idiots who do not know better how to operate a 4x4 vehicle.

I deleted mine and never looked back

Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Camel Trophy

Savanna Buzz, I did see it in the Rave. They have to be buried in the harness, I will have to undo wire ties......

Hun, I think anyone who paid 38k new for one of these WAS an idiot, hence the solenoids. Future cash cows.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, if they are simply in series with a wire at each end, I would hope they are covered with some sort of shrink-wrap, so they would look like a lump, plus it would be great if the wrap was not same color as wire insulation. In the RAVE, can you determine the color of the wire they should be located on? On my copy (page C1-4 of ETM); it is red with black stripe on one side of diode, then black with red stripe on the other side (on Z189) !

For great fun in tracing wires of similar colors in large bundles, we turn to the always busy telephone repair techs. They have a tone generator that attaches to one end of the wire, and you have a small pointed plastic magnetic pickup that you move around in the bundle or along terminal strips until the tone is heard. They sell these gadgets at Home Depot in the low voltage electrical aisle.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Camel Trophy

I removed the Interlock relay shelf and eyeball traced those two specific wires (and black/yellow) yesterday. The diodes aren't to be found near the relays or their loom, they are buried deeper in. Incredible, there's so much room.

Looking over the diagrams I had to laugh, there is a much easier way to make a one way safety circuit without diodes by using nc/no contacts. How much would it cost back in the day to have a tech replace buried diodes? A bunch!!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want help with removing the solenoid, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Thanks Mike. I've had the solenoid in my mitt so I know where it's at and how to remove it. Kind gesture though. The solenoid worked like a charm when I removed it from the TC and applied 12v to it directly. All I've lost is low range and I've never put myself in a position of needing low range.....so far. Spike is coming up to visit this weekend so I think low/lock will be in order to be sure he has a smile when going back home to GR. I'm gonna pull the pin here in a short while if I can't find circuit joy.

I'm just putzing around with this issue Mike, really. My military and civilian background is in electronics/electrical circuits besides diesels and large mechanicals. Just getting to know the Disco platform from the dark side. I've run out of mechanical/simple circuit problems for too long now. Kinda boring. I'm getting 16.6 mpg average so I think I've conquered the beast except for this one little PITA problem that I let go of a year ago.

Quick Reply: Interlock Diodes Z189/Z190 location.