Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just another crank not start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just another crank not start issue

Picked up a 99 Disco I with some issues. It will crank but not start. I have fuel and spark. Here are some key issue I need to point out.

1) It has an aftermarket alarm and key fob which has a dead battery. There is a button on a wire mounted on the windshield pillar that has a red led on it that flashes. When you press this button the door locks go down and pop back up. I will pick up a battery for that remote just to see it that changes anything.

2) The ignition is in terrible shape, loose and the key doesn't feel as though its really engaging the ignition more like sliding into an open space. If I wiggle it and hold it in the right position The heater fan comes on and console lights work. This obviously need to be fixed first but here is my question what year Disco will be same? When I turn the key it cranks and I get more door locks going up and down.

3) Now the biggie, there is NO yellow check engine light that comes on at any point. Only the red Service engine. Once the ignition is changed if I still do not have a check engine light what would be the sequence I should use to see if i will need a computer and alarm box?

Many many more things wrong with this rig. I have owned a 96 and 03 and I am able to handle most jobs including building a new 4.6 for the 03 but electrical stuff always is a challenge for me. I do not want to just throw parts at it because that's just a waste. I will get the ignition ordered once i figure out which one I need. There is a 98 on ebay that looks like mine and a 99 that has the key/fob combo that doesn't. I just dont want to order the wrong one.

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to do this once and do it correctly.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updating my own thread. I plugged in a code reader and good news the ecm is good. I pulled the intrude the cluster and sure enough the bulb had been removed.

I went back to confirm fuel and somehow and no pressure at all. I checked at the pump and had power. I pulled the pump and tested it. It was failing and would run for a few secco one then stop. I picked up the generic pump and installed it into the Land Rover assembly. After installing the new pump it fired right up. It actually sounds pretty good.

Now to get all the fluids changed and fix all the oddball stuff the PO screwed up.

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (02-02-2016)