Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just bought a 98 Disco 1 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 98 Disco 1 yesterday

Hello, I just bought a 98 Disco 1 yesterday.. um, I appreciate any sage-like advice from long time owners.

How interchangeable are 98 Disco 1 and 99 Disco 2 parts?
Where is the best place to get parts?
What should I look for that consistently goes wrong?
What should I avoid?

Appreciation in advance,

murrydan

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Very few D2 parts fit (like seats, trim parts, etc.). Some minor engine parts swap, like water pump, but most everything else is slightly different.

Good places include pull-it-yourself salvage yards, Atlantic British, BP Utah, and other web sites, and there are a number of dismantlers that are on this site that separate the good from the scrap and part out trucks.

Go to the technical area on the D1 forum and start reading articles. There is one for 60K high miles service needs, etc.

Download your very own copy of the RAVE, the Rover set of owner and shop manuals, free link in my signature.

Use premium gas, Shell Rotella 15W40 oil, and never ever let temp gauge get high. Above 9:00 on the gauge is hot, hot, hot. Consider buying an Ultra Gauge, which functions as an OBDII reader and code scanner, plus displays things like coolant temp.

Have fun, do your own work if you can, and avoid buying at the dealership.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Overlanding

Wow, thanks.. great info.. I am in need of a new hood.. Would a D2 hood fit?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Overlanding

Will D2 light guards, front and back fit a D1?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think hood is slightly different size. Lights are higher up on D2, so guards may not match up either. Front maybe. But save your money for the mechanical problems, they are sure to show up soon.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Overlanding

@Savannah Buzz, I think that is sound advice.. I am going to change the hood and the hood release today, then star socking money away for mechanical issues.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it is better to have a running Disco that gets you to work, even if you can't listen to a great stereo; or look swanky on new wheels, than have to listen to a great stereo in a dead Disco that has become a pasture ornamant while you are still paying off the wheels. It will take time, some sweat equity, and sacrifices, both in folding money and appropriate raw meat on the fire for the Rover gods. The reward is a Rover that you will really like, and can take you where you want to go.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get overly concerned with minor appearance items, you will spend a fortune. Like Savannah said, we get plenty of new owners who spend lots of money upfront on things they do not truly need then freak out when they do run into problems then they want to try and recover most of what they spent saying it is really nice looking Disco in great shape except for a minor overheating problem and expect to resell it for a big price because they already spent a fortune making it look right and now they cannot possibly spend what the shop wants to fix this new minor problem.

I call them one-hit wonders. One big hit and they are gone.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
If you get overly concerned with minor appearance items, you will spend a fortune. Like Savannah said, we get plenty of new owners who spend lots of money upfront on things they do not truly need then freak out when they do run into problems then they want to try and recover most of what they spent saying it is really nice looking Disco in great shape except for a minor overheating problem and expect to resell it for a big price because they already spent a fortune making it look right and now they cannot possibly spend what the shop wants to fix this new minor problem.

I call them one-hit wonders. One big hit and they are gone.
This is excellent advice. It took me 7 years of repairing and replacing major mechanical items and only now have I splurged on a roof rack. Roof rack looks nice, but it wouldn't look so nice broke down on the side of the road or stranded in my driveway because the engine, brakes, etc. are toast.

Go through the major service stickies in the tech guide on this forum and make sure you have that all dialed in before spending money on looks.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sunroofs from the d2 are the same. and the headlight from the 99-03 fit and look better.

Seats do not fit without some major surgery.

take your time on parts, another D1 always pops up right around the corner being parted out. always at least 3 or 4 on cl local to me being parted out at any given time. If you can't find a specific part, there are some great cheap guys you can contact like will tillery to get what your after.

my advise, pick a system, issue and work threw it till it's resolved then move on to the next issue, else you may become overwhelmed. The information and people here are now your best friends.

The truck will never be "perfect" Take your time and learn as you go and it will be something you can enjoy for many years, just keep in mind it's not a honda, even after your (done) it will require constant upkeep and work as something else breaks.

Ditto on the cosmetics. If you happen to run across a unbelievable deal, like an aftermarket bumper for 100 bucks or a rack for 50 then of course grab them, else wait on that stuff till the truck is running and driving correct. DO plan as you build. Think about what the final outcome is going to be and repair to fit. (if your absolutely going to have a heavy bumper you would want the HD shocks etc) doing this can save money not having to redo it down the road.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 98 Disco 1 yesterday