Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Just Wondering..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They say that because when we buy the used oil how much we pay is based on the water to oil ratio.
The more "water" in the waste oil the less money they get.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, I know anything can be separated out, even brake fluid, but I still don't mix them. At least not intentionally.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I go to auto zone, they pretty much just grab my oil pan and dump it. Or I walk in and do it myself, but I don't want to contaminate anything and destroy the planet!

Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

When the oil recycler goes to AutoZone to suck out their waste oil he takes a sample and gives it the "sniff test" with a special machine.
As long as it is within certain range it is safe for him to put into his waste oil tanker truck.
Waste oil is considered non hazardous by the EPA.
If it is contaminated with brake fluid for example and it does not pass the sniff test then he cannot pick it up and a hazardous waste tanker has to come and suck it out.
Then it will go to a different location and be used as industrial fuel for a cement kiln, incinerator etc.
No problem for you, but a big problem for AutoZone because they will have to pay for the HAZMAT truck to come and clean them out.
Add to that that their storage tank is steel and can be eaten away from the inside out if they take the wrong fluids.
Now keep in mind that AutoZone has a 500 gal waste oil storage tank so a few quarts of brake fluid wont matter as it will be diluted to much to be sniffed out.

Waste oil, ATF, gear lube and engine coolant all have a infinite life.
The only thing that goes wrong with them is that the additives go bad and they get contaminated.
The way they get recycled is they get distilled.
The waste oil is put into a distillery, it is then super heated and put under pressure.
The base oil vaporizes and is collected as it cools.
The contaminants stay on the bottom.
Then it is distilled once more.
Again the base stock is vaporized, solids stay on the bottom.
Then it is done a third time.
Now you have 100% usable clean base stock oil.
Send that onto the oil factory and add the viscosity modifiers, the anti wear additives, etc. and you have whatever oil you want based on the cocktail of stuff added to the base stock.
All of the sludge is sent off to be used for industrial fuel.
Engine coolant is the same way, the base stock never goes bad, just the additives.
Distill it, add the additives, brand new coolant.

Because brake fluid is corrosive it cannot be recycled, it must be incinerated to be properly disposed of.
AutoZone, etc. will not take waste brake fluid because they would have to store it separately and pay to have it taken away as well as apply for and pay for the permits to store a hazardous waste.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correction. USED OIL is considered non-hazardous. Waste oil IS hazardous. Waste oil is used oil that has been contaminated with fuels and solvents. Waste oil can be recycled. Used oil can be recycled and burnt in used oil furnaces(commonly inappropriately called waste oil furnaces).

Sorry for the speech, but I deal with the stuff daily and am EPA trained in the disposal of the crap. Not that it matters much in the private industry, just in the commercial side. It's all a bunch of technicalities.

Last edited by Chris-bob; 12-13-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Hey Chris, pics of my queen on the other thread.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Correction. USED OIL is considered non-hazardous. Waste oil IS hazardous. Waste oil is used oil that has been contaminated with fuels and solvents. Waste oil can be recycled. Used oil can be recycled and burnt in used oil furnaces(commonly inappropriately called waste oil furnaces).

Sorry for the speech, but I deal with the stuff daily and am EPA trained in the disposal of the crap. Not that it matters much in the private industry, just in the commercial side. It's all a bunch of technicalities.
Thank you.
I admit I have been out of the HAZMAT hauling industry for a few years and my memory ain't what it used to be.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thank you.
I admit I have been out of the HAZMAT hauling industry for a few years and my memory ain't what it used to be.
Yeah, that's why they do recurrent every year. If I didn't deal with it, it'd be gone from my mind. Best thing to do is keep your fluids seperate. Then there is no confusion. You can use the same drain pan, just don't mix it all together afterwards, and wipe the drain pan out if you are not sure. Also, ask your disposal place(parts store of recycler or landfill) how they would like you to deliver the fluids to them.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: Just Wondering..