Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Key Fob Disco I

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob Disco I

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 1996 LR Discovery I but it only came with one traditional key. I was told there was a key fob for these or remote at one point in time. I am not sure what the original keys looked like for these vehicles . I was also told that it would be easy enough for me to find a used one and reprogram?

I am a vintage Volvo nut and new to land rover so any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated .

I see a lot of information out there but I am a bit confused and Land Rover wants $295 for a remote ... The other option I am hearing about is a bypass for the alarm all together but I would like to try my hand at getting a hold of a remote and reprogramming it. I tried doing a search on these forums for this topic but came up with nothing but maybe I am not typing in the correct words to bring up the search.

Thank you all in advance

Josh

Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Hello Junior Member!

A used two button FOB can be had on ebay from time to time.
You'll have to take it to the dealer for programing. Or if you have access to a HawkEye 5070 scan tool you can program the KOB to your cars system. There are other scan tools that can do the programming but all the scan tools are hundreds of dollars.

The 95 D1 can be programmed without a scan tool.

The Toyota Rav4 keys can be cut to work with our cars.

Last edited by Toran; 04-13-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Toran
Hello Junior Member!

A used two button FOB can be had on ebay from time to time.
You'll have to take it to the dealer for programing. Or if you have access to a HawkEye 5070 scan tool you can program the KOB to your cars system. There are other scan tools that can do the programming but all the scan tools are hundreds of dollars.

The 95 D1 can be programmed without a scan tool.

The Toyota Rav4 keys can be cut to work with our cars.
Thank you for that information, especially about the RAV4 keys being cut. Speaking with the dealer I was a bit put off that they would not cut a key by vin for me because they said the vehicle was too old... I can go down to the local volvo dealer and have keys cut for my 1978 with no problem haha.

So the dealer is the only option for programming ? no aftermarket support ?

There is a Local place I just called and they said they can reprogram for $119 if I find some used remotes and from what I told the dealer will do it for $100 . The local place is looking into finding me some of the used remotes though so this is a start.

The Disco is in pieces on the inside at the moment. I can still drive it but it has nothing in it , not even the dash . I am fixing rusted floor boards . Chassis is mint but I needed to address the rust in the floor before safely moving on with the build.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I feel ya bigtime!
The dealer should be able to cut keys for any Rover you would think.
Somebody down there aint doing their job.

The only aftermarket support would be buying or finding someone that has a scan tool that can program the FOBS. Scan tools like the HawkEye 5070

I found some FOB on eBay but you need to jump on this quickly before it goes.
Trust me this price is good and it will not last.
Land Rover Remote Control Unit Discovery 1 Defender YWX101230 | eBay

The following users liked this post:
OFF RVR (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Yes, most dealers don't really care much for the old users. Even the volvo dealers in the area have gone to crap. No one cares about the guys that keep the old heritage vehicles still going.

BTW thank you so much for taking the time do find that for me . I purchased it.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ya I have seen this all to well, since my cars are all 20+yrs old. You'd think they would service the car with pride knowing the company they represent made a quality product that is still on the road.

Glad to help you, this forum rocks!
I've met and keep meeting good people with hands on knowledge to help keep my car on the road.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Toran
Ya I have seen this all to well, since my cars are all 20+yrs old. You'd think they would service the car with pride knowing the company they represent made a quality product that is still on the road.

Glad to help you, this forum rocks!
I've met and keep meeting good people with hands on knowledge to help keep my car on the road.

I am glad to hear you mention that you like this forum. I am always reluctant to post topics on some forums for fear of the unhelpful attitude I might run into . I have a lot of learning to do on the discovery and I look forward to exchanging information on this site in the near future.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Ok I got my remote in and it is in decent shape. It looks exactly like the remote in my Disco book . I have read numerous ways of programming these keyless remotes but I am a bit confused as to what actually works. I really am trying to avoid spending money on reprogramming. I have been able to barter my way through a lot for spare vehicles. So far I have spent virtually nothing on this Disco and I want to continue to trend.

I know you mentioned that the dealer or specialty shop can reprogram but we are talking about $100 from the dealer and $119 from a specialty shop.

I am posting the instructions that I read recently but I assume don't work ... why are these instructions out there if they don't work? why do some folks say they can reprogram these by themselves without diagnostic tools and is my 1996 just that much of a bastard year that it is stuck in the middle? Maybe I am just being hard headed and complaining about the fact that it cost too much for something so simple or so I think.

"Land Rover 1996 (Oval Shape)

Procedure

1. Ensure ignition is OFF, doors unlocked, bonnet switch closed.

2. Ensure procedure from 3 to 9 is completed within 8 seconds.

3. Switch Ignition ON

4. Switch Ignition OFF

5. Lock Doors and Unlock Doors

6. Release Bonnet Switch

7. Switch Ignition ON

8. Switch Ignition OFF

9. If alarm is set, horn will sound and LED with light. Now programming of plips can be completed.

10. Press and hold down button on plip until LED flashes.

11. Repeat for additional plips.

12. The dash LED will extinguish if both plips have been programmed successfully."

when they mention Oval shape... do they mean the keyless remote that is integrated with the blade or do they mean the separate two button. And what is PLIP?

below I am posting a photo of the remote I have . The remote also came with a 10 digit code or sequence of letters and numbers much like a vin ... I am not sure what that is meant to be used for.

Last edited by OFF RVR; 04-19-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Drifting

ok I confirmed with http://www.sarekautowerke.com/ that it is the right remote. I just may have them reprogram it but it is hard to spend $119 on something that really isn't needed.

Last edited by OFF RVR; 04-19-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is a screenshot from the remote I purchased on eBay last month.

You got the right remote!
Many people on these forums have said this and that. I spent weeks combing these forums for correct info. The 94 and 95 D1 can be programmed without any additional gear needed. The 96 is different.

Paul Grant was selling a used alarm brain and remote and I missed the offer. Only thing you needed to do was plug and play because the remote was already paired to the alarm brain.

I bit the bullet and picked up a HawkEye 5070. When it arrived I was ready to rock and roll I thought. I quickly realized I also needed the additional BA 5076 dongle to program key FOBs. At last it arrived and it took no more than 2 minute to program.

If your ever in the area pop up and I'll do it for free!

Attached Thumbnails Key Fob Disco I-screen-shot-2016-04-19-9.55.52-am.png  

Quick Reply: Key Fob Disco I