Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Key Fob Disco I

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Make sure to put in a fresh 2032 battery to gain as much range possible.
Others have soldered a small wire to the antenna of the remote to gain even greater range.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toran
Make sure to put in a fresh 2032 battery to gain as much range possible.
Others have soldered a small wire to the antenna of the remote to gain even greater range.
Thank you for the reassurance on the remote. I really wish I had the extra funds to purchase the hawkeye and the extra piece with it for the pairing. Can that diagnostic unit work for other OBD II systems like a Ford F250 and a Volvo XC90 ? If so I might seriously purchase one. How much did you get your hawkeye unit for ? and from who?

Heck I already have $119 towards it if you think about it.

I actually used a 2025 battery that I had brand new at the house. it fits fine and is the same 3v battery and diameter it is just slightly thinner than the 2032 so that is an alternative number for folks if they can't find the 2032 . But If I spend the money on the reprogram I will go ahead and get the 2032 battery. I fooleshly tried that programming trick which did not work. Me being hard headed again and not listening to your first post in hopes that I could magically save money but that usually never works so sorry for the repeated rant .

Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I feel your concern and frustration, I did the same thing you did.

The HawkEye is a Rover specific scan tool. You can put in additional key to access another model of Rover. So it will not work with Ford or Volvo. Other scan tools will work for different brand of cars but may not do the FOB programming. It’s a two edge sword!

True you would have $119 toward it but the HawkEye wouldn't work with your other brand cars. Now.....there are other scan tools that can do it but they cost more than the D1!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Drifting

sigh ... . I must tell my wife that the Brits have me irritated. I actually did joke about her country being weird about their damn vehicles.

Oh well. To be honest newer cars are nice and all but there is something so satisfying about almost zero electronics and rebuilding carburetors . If this engine every goes in this thing I think a carbed engine is in order . how does a 3.0L straight six with dual side drafts sound? haha

anyways Tuesday dreaming. Thanks for all your help so far.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ya gotta luv the mix of those 6, 12, and 24 volt cars!

The older I get the more I want simplicity, something that is simply enough to repair with less swearing in mind.

While I am not a purist I think whatever transplant you put in her to help keep her on the road is what really counts. Though I've met some hardcore Rover owners that find it very sacrilege. Like putting a Honda engine on a classic Harley Davidson...LOL

Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Don't forget positive ground systems either ! some of my old Farmall tractors are positive 6v ground still . Positive ground actually makes more sense than our modern way of negative ground but that's a whole different discussion

Well I was pretty much a volvo purist for the longest time then I realized that its all just mechanical crap and none of these vehicles have a sole or any type of conscience so I am going to enjoy what I love and combined it. Like putting a v8 in a volvo 240. There is no replacement for displacement and I want the smooth power of a v8 in the awesome handling and comfort of my 240 ... so it makes sense to combine the two right? The Rover v8 has never been a wonderful engine . It is a buick engine that buick didn't run for long as I am sure you know . The owners of land rovers when they were new probably didn't do proper maintenance on them like use only synthetic oils and change them every 3-5k and they probably didn't use good antifreeze rated for aluminum . These are things that killed the buick engine in the first place and buick knew this so they gave up on it. Granted the all aluminum engine was a great idea , people are just flat out ignorant to how automobiles work and so they abuse and destroy them. Now that our oil and coolant specs are up to par we should be able to make these all aluminum engines last a lot longer so I will try my best to keep this thing running the way it is supposed to for as long as I possibly can. However I have no reservations to transplanting a driveline.

Last edited by OFF RVR; 04-19-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Here, Here!
Behold!
Preaching to the choir!
LOL

I agree with everything you said. You can combine the tech to make it better than at the factory that do it. the only reason the factory didn't may have been because of copyright and patents laws. I enjoy seeing different stuff that just works. Combine the best of all of it and most important have fun doing it!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Toran
Hello Junior Member!

A used two button FOB can be had on ebay from time to time.
You'll have to take it to the dealer for programing. Or if you have access to a HawkEye 5070 scan tool you can program the KOB to your cars system. There are other scan tools that can do the programming but all the scan tools are hundreds of dollars.

The 95 D1 can be programmed without a scan tool.

The Toyota Rav4 keys can be cut to work with our cars.
Are you certain about the Rav4 key. I know, for a fact, as I use them all the time, Ilco RV-4 key blanks are Land Rover style key blanks. Might you have the nomenclature confused? In all my years of working with Land Rovers I never heard that any Toyota key blanks were interchangeable.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by OFF RVR
sigh ... . I must tell my wife that the Brits have me irritated. I actually did joke about her country being weird about their damn vehicles.

Oh well. To be honest newer cars are nice and all but there is something so satisfying about almost zero electronics and rebuilding carburetors . If this engine every goes in this thing I think a carbed engine is in order . how does a 3.0L straight six with dual side drafts sound? haha

anyways Tuesday dreaming. Thanks for all your help so far.
If you live in an area of the country with lax emission laws, check out Edelbrock. They make an intake manifold and a four barrel carb that fit on top of a 4.0L like a glove. I know because I converted a GEMS 4.0L to run a four barrel a number of years ago. It was a breeze and the extra power turned my grey market Range Rover Classic with a 5 speed into a really fun truck to drive. There are plenty of carburettor options for these engines. It all hinges on whether you have to have the truck pass emissions.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Drifting

No emissions here Paul and in a few more years I can register this disco antique !

I didn't know they made carb kids for the rover 8 ! This is good news . Thank you

Quick Reply: Key Fob Disco I