Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Key won’t turn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 11:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's a problem! The good news is most of those wires are for the radio and sound system (low priority in my book). There are only a few for the AC (high priority). The steel cables adjust hot and cold blend gates mechanically, so will need to be replaced eventually (if lucky they will be set for winter). I think I would find a wreck in a junk yard and cut out the same AC and radio connectors, then splice the same color coded wires together (crimped connections are fine if there's room). By the way, I just bought a radio from Crutchfields that uses the LR connectors with adapters. I don't think any of that stuff makes the car go (or stop), so can be tackled later.

Old 10-14-2024 | 07:05 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by JohnZo
That's a problem! The good news is most of those wires are for the radio and sound system (low priority in my book). There are only a few for the AC (high priority). The steel cables adjust hot and cold blend gates mechanically, so will need to be replaced eventually (if lucky they will be set for winter). I think I would find a wreck in a junk yard and cut out the same AC and radio connectors, then splice the same color coded wires together (crimped connections are fine if there's room). By the way, I just bought a radio from Crutchfields that uses the LR connectors with adapters. I don't think any of that stuff makes the car go (or stop), so can be tackled later.
John,

I actually have the ends that go into the radio so I can splice it. Is crimping small connectors actually going to hold up? It’ll be a tedious job, but I believe it can be done. It’ll suck, but be worth it. Can I buy the cables for the blend doors? There aren’t many discovery 1s near me in any junk yards unfortunately.

Old 10-14-2024 | 09:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If anyone can supply the blend door cables, it will be Rovers North. They are an excellent source for hard-to-find parts but might need to contact someone in England. Those cables are not really a high demand wear part. Maybe a kind LR dealer could help. Larger wrecking yards near me are good about networking, so maybe find out where the nearest D1 is and plan a scavenger road trip (make a good list). Beware because many yards now do not let old wrecks stay on their lot very long before scrapping them, so call ahead.

Use a good tool, and right-sized crimp splices will hold up fine. They will take up more space than solder and heat shrink. I have had problems with the Driver's blend lever getting blocked by brackets and wires back there. Plastic radio support tabs all busted up. Strategic use of wire ties and bailing wire.

Old 10-14-2024 | 09:41 AM
TReK

For parts like A/C blend cables I'd reach out to Will Tillery who parts out these trucks for a living. I've bought MANY great parts from him and his prices are always fair and shipping is quick.

willtillery@roverguy.com
540-462-7353

Land Rover New and Used Parts and Accessories ? RoverGuy Land Rover Parts and Accessories

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (10-15-2024)
Old 10-14-2024 | 07:32 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
For parts like A/C blend cables I'd reach out to Will Tillery who parts out these trucks for a living. I've bought MANY great parts from him and his prices are always fair and shipping is quick.

willtillery@roverguy.com
540-462-7353

Land Rover New and Used Parts and Accessories ? RoverGuy Land Rover Parts and Accessories
Thank you guys! Means the world. I emailed him.

Here’s the current state of the rover.

Grinding rust in the rear section floor, taken all the seats except the driver out so when I get the floor pump in, and get it running, I will have somewhere to sit.

going to probably either get new seats, or trash these. May get them re covered but not sure. What other seats are a direct swap? I’d like maybe a three point harness or over the shoulder setup.

started sanding the exterior. Going to do an at home paint job. My first attempt ever. Figure it doesn’t matter since this is gonna be an off road truck. May do red body, white top with white wheels.

any ideas on seats? Fuel pump should be here Thursday. Still trying to get all the crap out of the tank. Is it easy to drop? It may be my only option.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-15-2024 | 10:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The Forum has info about dropping the gas tank, sounds easy. That will give access to the vent tube that probably needs replaced.

Leather seat covers from L-seat worked for me. Decent fit, look and feel good. A bit lighter colored. The Drivers seat support "diaper" also needed replacing on my '94, new from UkarAuto (lots of LR parts).

Old 10-15-2024 | 11:00 AM
TReK
Old 10-15-2024 | 03:24 PM
Winching

For the blend door cables, might look at universal choke cables. Plastic sleeved ones.

For the center fascia wiring mess, I'd look for a pick your part lot near by or try car-part.com. Search for something like a back glass to see what is near by. Cut as far back from the connectors as you can on the donor. I like soldering and heat shrink. If that's not your thing, crimp-on wire splicers. They look like small wirenuts but you crimp them.

I had driver's seat reupholstered. Vinyl was good enough for me.

Old 10-16-2024 | 10:39 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by hrhoward
For the blend door cables, might look at universal choke cables. Plastic sleeved ones.

For the center fascia wiring mess, I'd look for a pick your part lot near by or try car-part.com. Search for something like a back glass to see what is near by. Cut as far back from the connectors as you can on the donor. I like soldering and heat shrink. If that's not your thing, crimp-on wire splicers. They look like small wirenuts but you crimp them.

I had driver's seat reupholstered. Vinyl was good enough for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15271670365...J1X-31vhC7YVMQ

would this be solid for solving all my wiring issues? Or is a 2001 much different. Mine is an SE7

Old Yesterday | 11:35 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by MasonJ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15271670365...J1X-31vhC7YVMQ

would this be solid for solving all my wiring issues? Or is a 2001 much different. Mine is an SE7
D2's are different animals. Not much swaps over, unfortunately.
Only the first picture and ebay's ad (of course) display properly on my end. Rest of photos display as that silly blank polaroid icon.

Can't say with any authority if that would work on a D1, I'm afraid.

Quick Reply: Key won’t turn?