Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Land Rover Rescue Foundation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Rescue Foundation

I noticed the other day a neighbor in my Apt complex bought a disco 1, and just a minute ago I got a chance to talk to the lucky new owner.
He starts off by saying how hard it is to find parts. I tell him not to worry and listed him the usual rover parts sites. I asked him what he was looking for, thinking i could help him out, and he replies, "Ive been looking for a set of 22's and lowering springs, but i may just cut the springs"...( in a "i wanna be the next best white rapper" slang)
I almost hit the ground in pain and panic to hear the abuse and misuse of this poor rover.
I think the best course of action should be to start a Land Rover Rescue Program, that gets our beloved Rovers out of the hands of misusers and into a loving home, and setting the previous owners up in a car that is more suited for them, such as a Jeep.

An old man came into Advance yesterday with a 98 disco that had 250k + on it with no major repairs. He said he uses it for camping and as a daily driver. It had a check engine light that said the coolent temp sensor was done, sold him a new one and helped him install it. These are the people who deserve rovers.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some people just deserve a beating...just like ghetto wanna be's with guns and no training

Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advance Auto

Wait a minute, you work at Advance Auto?
An old man came into Advance yesterday with a 98 disco that had 250k + on it with no major repairs. He said he uses it for camping and as a daily driver. It had a check engine light that said the coolent temp sensor was done, sold him a new one and helped him install it. These are the people who deserve rovers.

And you actually helped someone? Where is that store?

I HAD A HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE RECENTLY AT ADVANCE!!!!!

I wrote a separate thread about going there to use their code reader. I did manage to get it read and cleared at the third Advance Auto that I went to after calling the first one back and letting them know how screwed up the dude at the second location was.

The first location has had a "broken" code reader for about two months now and still waiting on Corporate to send them a replacement which is inexcusable seeing as how they do sell them!!!!

The second location had their new one in, but customers are not allowed to use it. The store employee has to do it for you. The young dude that came out to do it for me could not get his new reader to work. He insisted that my Rover was "screwed up" that he knew how to use a code reader . He refused to even let me look at the screen while he attempted it, gave me an attitude and went back in. He did say the reader was "retarded", it did ask what model the vehicle was, but when he chose Discovery, it 's response was to "Contact Mfg" which I thought he was going to do, since I figured it was not loaded correctly for a DI. When I followed him inside to ask if he was going to contact mfg like it said, he gave me more attitude, the guy at the register told him not to say anything further and just "let HIM go about HIS business". I told him that business would be conducted elsewhere and left before the COPS had to respond.

I called the first store to ask if they were getting their replaced anytime soon, still waiting on Corporate. They sent me to a third location. These guys were nice, gave me the code reader in exchange for my driver's license. I read and cleared the codes with no problem.

I have not decided whether to follow up and file a complaint and suggest that Corporate provide a new code reader to location 1 and provide further training in "Customer Relations" to the staff at location 2 and a commendation to location 3 staff or to just forget it and leave it be.

I am amazed that the service can be so bad at some Advance Auto. Even more amazed that you had the correct part in stock for your customer. Good Job.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jbm6287
I noticed the other day a neighbor in my Apt complex bought a disco 1, and just a minute ago I got a chance to talk to the lucky new owner.
He starts off by saying how hard it is to find parts. I tell him not to worry and listed him the usual rover parts sites. I asked him what he was looking for, thinking i could help him out, and he replies, "Ive been looking for a set of 22's and lowering springs, but i may just cut the springs"...( in a "i wanna be the next best white rapper" slang)
I almost hit the ground in pain and panic to hear the abuse and misuse of this poor rover.
I think the best course of action should be to start a Land Rover Rescue Program, that gets our beloved Rovers out of the hands of misusers and into a loving home, and setting the previous owners up in a car that is more suited for them, such as a Jeep.

I was at a local repair shop today to see about welding me in some new cats, and the owner says " how do ya like your Rover"...so we start talking and it turns out he has a '99D2. A supplier of used parts he has stopped in one day with a delivery and was driving a transport truck with the latest run to the crusher....turns out the '99 was on the way to the crusher WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A SCRATCH ON HER !......1 NEW BATTERY LATER AND IT WAS RUNNING...he traded the guy some junk he had and he's been driving it ever since .......

Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM

I hate to see a Disco go to waste.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too. During an old Top Gear show they showed a picture a the yard where they parked the cars traded in the "cash for clunkers" program. You wouldn't believe how much Rovers there was in that yard. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Three Wheeling

sorry about starting a post and not having any input for almost a week guys. Me and the wife took a trip up to VA for the week, and about 30 minutes out of town on monday, some *** decided to reach for his dip cup and slammed into the back of my BMW. We only had the poor little car for a year , and now its gone.

Sorry, Danny, to hear about your Advance troubles. Ive heard some bad things about some of our other stores too. And dealing with corporate is almost impossible, we have one computer in our store that breaks everyday and they wont replace it. They tell us every time we call, to call them the next time it breaks and they might do something about it, then it breaks again and they say the same thing. Im not sure what our focus is, but anyways... We've started to get more access to Rover stuff b/c advance worked a deal with Allmakes and IMC... but its hit or miss

But, I've been thinking about the Rover Rescue Foundation, and im considering pursuing it. Every time I see a rover in neglect or in need I will offer to buy it for a small amount, fix it and resell it to someone who will apprectiate it and use it. They're too nice to go to waste and end up being scrapped. I have my eye set on a local RR classic at the moment, it doesnt appear to need too much and would make a quick easy resto. So after i replace my BMW, im going to work on getting the RR

Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jull
Me too. During an old Top Gear show they showed a picture a the yard where they parked the cars traded in the "cash for clunkers" program. You wouldn't believe how much Rovers there was in that yard. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
I saw that one, there were some D-90s and 110s that people here would pay big bucks for, they were treating them like a Kia or something

Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 AM

Thanks, I truly did not want to come off like a jerk but wanted to vent. I would love to redo an older RR myself and get another Disco or two as well. Keep up the good work.

The third AA I went to was the best one yet, great guys and they let ne use their reader with no flak. It worked fine but CEL has come back, got to chasw down P1178. Going to try to verify the various temp sensors now that can cause it to make MAX ADJUSTMENT. Any help appreciated by you old timers that do understand it and may have also encountered and fixed it.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Thanks, I truly did not want to come off like a jerk but wanted to vent. I would love to redo an older RR myself and get another Disco or two as well. Keep up the good work.

The third AA I went to was the best one yet, great guys and they let ne use their reader with no flak. It worked fine but CEL has come back, got to chasw down P1178. Going to try to verify the various temp sensors now that can cause it to make MAX ADJUSTMENT. Any help appreciated by you old timers that do understand it and may have also encountered and fixed it.
This one is a weird one, it could be anything from dirty (dysfunctional) mafs, O2 sensors, clogged cats or a dirty fuel filter. The cheapest place to start is cleaning the mafs, I would also check the wiring. Then you would have to clear the code again. The guy in the other thread that suggested the Actron is good advice, I got the CP9180 at AutoZone, not my first choice, but it was only $125.00. If that didn't do it then run an O2 sensor test with the scanner and check the values against normal go from there. That can tell you what your sensors and your cats are doing, If that made any sense. Good luck

Quick Reply: Land Rover Rescue Foundation