Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Land Rover Rescue Foundation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbm6287
sorry about starting a post and not having any input for almost a week guys. Me and the wife took a trip up to VA for the week, and about 30 minutes out of town on monday, some *** decided to reach for his dip cup and slammed into the back of my BMW. We only had the poor little car for a year , and now its gone.

Sorry, Danny, to hear about your Advance troubles. Ive heard some bad things about some of our other stores too. And dealing with corporate is almost impossible, we have one computer in our store that breaks everyday and they wont replace it. They tell us every time we call, to call them the next time it breaks and they might do something about it, then it breaks again and they say the same thing. Im not sure what our focus is, but anyways... We've started to get more access to Rover stuff b/c advance worked a deal with Allmakes and IMC... but its hit or miss

But, I've been thinking about the Rover Rescue Foundation, and im considering pursuing it. Every time I see a rover in neglect or in need I will offer to buy it for a small amount, fix it and resell it to someone who will apprectiate it and use it. They're too nice to go to waste and end up being scrapped. I have my eye set on a local RR classic at the moment, it doesnt appear to need too much and would make a quick easy resto. So after i replace my BMW, im going to work on getting the RR

If and when I find myself a more presentable more inspectable Land Rover, I would be willing to donate my current 98 Discovery to this potential rover rescue team! Im sure you've seen some of my posts all relating to the work it needs, but if I cannot get her all fixed up then at least if I give her to someone with the time love and patience, then maybe she can be all fixed up and sold to a deserving owner.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jull
Me too. During an old Top Gear show they showed a picture a the yard where they parked the cars traded in the "cash for clunkers" program. You wouldn't believe how much Rovers there was in that yard. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
I remember that episode, I paused the video for a moment and picked out multiple Discoveries, Defenders and Range Rovers... It was quite frustrating. I remember that happened to me when I lived in Connecticut. I was driving along and I see this Defender 110 that had "SAVE ME!" written on the side of it, and I come in to the dealership to see what this was all about, after talking with the salesman for about 10 minutes he went into the dealership to find out the information for me, turns out it was traded in for a new car and was being put into cash for clunkers. I pleaded with him to let me buy it from them, but after about an 2 hours, I gave up... I really wish I could have saved that Defender.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what was wrong with cash for clunkers. Cars that were traded in with this program had to be crushed. Dealerships were given so much money that it was merely impossible to buy one of the cars back.

I remember when I worked in a Chrysler stealership, a dude was given close to 2k$ for a 1994 Astro Van + trade-in value which was more or less 300$. And another got close to 3k$ for a beaten up 1992 Pathfinder. Can you believe that?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And they had to pour some stuff in the oil pan that would keep the motor from ever being reused as well. I saw a few DII's at one scrapyard here. But I really don't have much desire for a DII, but still hate it that they wasted so many parts that could have gone to better use. That's how our damn government evolved. The things that all the manufacturers did was even worse, sending all the manufacturing capabilities off-shore as well as the jobs that went along with the "Outsourcing".

Those are the ones that should be tried for treason. We forgot all about pride, diginity, quality workmanship, and earning a good wage by doing good work.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
If and when I find myself a more presentable more inspectable Land Rover, I would be willing to donate my current 98 Discovery to this potential rover rescue team! Im sure you've seen some of my posts all relating to the work it needs, but if I cannot get her all fixed up then at least if I give her to someone with the time love and patience, then maybe she can be all fixed up and sold to a deserving owner.
I would certainly be willing to adopt it and give it a loving home during it's rehabilitation. I want to start a non-profit to donate refurbished Golf Club sets to returning vets as part of the Wounded Warrior Program, since so many of them are using golf as therapy and physical rehab. I refurbish classic brass headed Bullseye putters, real wooden headed woods, classic forged blades and wedges as a way to fill my spare time.

I have the following sets I have done: Gene Sarazen Strokemasters, 2 Sam Snead Blue Ridge Classics, MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Golden Bears, Rawlings Lee Trevino MVP Commerative Irons, Lynx Freddy Couples blades and early metals, and a nice set of Mizuno TZoid Pros in a Nick Faldo style bag. All are in appropriate period bags and I have matched up books either by or about that golfer sort of like a little library.

I also have several other clubs I have picked up at thrift shops, estate sales, and EBay. I want to start donating clubs to returning vets and work with them as a clubfitter to personalize a set to their individual needs and taste. To support this effort I want to place donation barrels at local Country Clubs and public courses and encourage people to donate their "Old Soldiers" (clubs they no longer use) to be refurbished and given to the returning "Young Soldiers".

I figure this will be a worthwhile use of my excessive free time I now have.
And I can use my LandRover to take groups out golfing. I am hoping to kick this effort off this spring. Wish me luck guys.