Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Landrover dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011 | 09:22 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Unhappy Landrover dealer

Hey, I received a notice for a factory recall on the fuel tank for my rover. I made an appointment and took it to Wexford, Pa. to have it replaced under the recall. Before the service dept began, they brought me an invoice for $2,500. I asked what it was for and they said I probably needed new wiring, fuel pump (which I had just replaced), etc. I told them to just do the recall work. I got very upset and told them I was going to stand in the bay and watch them because I didn't trust them after they tried to rip me off. What is with these people?

Old 11-11-2011 | 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

It's just today's business, which unfortunately has seeped into lots of dealerships. If we can't make a high profit on you, next customer please. That is why the DIY crowd will be rolling up their sleeves agian this weekend.

Old 11-11-2011 | 04:17 PM
Mudding

Huh where you at? Here in st Louis, the dealer did the work and gave me a g35 lowener car for the day, only paid em like 10 to top off my transfer case.

Old 11-11-2011 | 05:02 PM

You were at one of the Bobby Rahal Dealerships, the one that handles LR, Jaguar, Volvo, Aston Martin's and a variety of high dollar cars with the elegant waiting area and all the other fine amenities, including pictures of Rahal setting world speed records and such. How do you expect him to maintain all of that?

Seriously, they are very expensive. I took my 97 Discovery there when I first got it. That was before I learned much about the vehicle. The small dealership I bought mine at did throw in a "free" warranty that Bobby Rahal honored. They told me my front wheels were in danger of falling off and they would have to order parts. They did give me a free loaner (a RAV7) for the week or so they had my Disco. It did cost me a couple of hundred in things the warranty did not cover.

I think my hanging around the $200K DB9's there may have expedited them giving me the rental to keep me from getting to test drive the Aston Martin's. When you drive up in an old Discovery, they frown upon you wanting to leave in a DB9 without a big fat wallet.

I live just east of downtown Pittsburgh, if you want to get together sometime.

Attached Thumbnails Landrover dealer-db9.jpg   Landrover dealer-4-04-11-024.jpg  

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-12-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2011 | 07:21 PM
Team Owner

I'm surprised they didnt tell you that you needed a LR4.

Old 11-11-2011 | 08:20 PM
Winching

Should I try to get my fuel tank replaced then??? Just because it was a recall??? Or what will happen?

Old 11-11-2011 | 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Yes get your fuel tank replaced under the recall if it has not been already.
the fuel tank cracks at the top and leaks as well as starves the engine of fuel because it cannot vent properly.

Old 11-12-2011 | 09:06 AM
Administrator

That is a Federal warrnty that the dealer must do at no charge to you. Over the years, I have seen many dealers even replace, pump, hoses, seals and repair wiring if it is needed and the factory will pay for it. If your dealer were to replace your tank and then there was a problem, they would also be required to fix it for the next 12 months.

Old 11-12-2011 | 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Who's Rovers apply to the recall?

Old 11-12-2011 | 10:34 AM

I do not know the details, but I was under the impression it applied pretty much to all the DI's. Mike can probably fill in the missing details.

You can call the nearest deaalership, give them your VIN and they will search the database to see if yours was included and if it has been accomplished or not.

If it has not been done, they will schedule you in for the replacement.

I verified with dealership that mine had been done.

Quick Reply: Landrover dealer