Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Largest size tire for LR Discovery1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
I know it sounds silly, but I don't like the tread pattern of the KM2 (not a deal breaker, just a cosmetic thing). I liked the look of the KM1, but not the KM2. I have been considering the Destination M/T as well (it reminds me of the KM1). The TrXus MT is $40 cheaper per tire though...but not enough people use them to form a proper opinion (although people tend to love Super Swampers, which are made by the same company).

BTW, sorry for the thread jack.
You know, I thought this until I got them. All the reviews I read were positive so I took the bait. I think the sidewalls look super mean and really compliment the tread, I've really gotten used to how they look. I guess it helps that I get tons of compliments on them when people see my rig.

Oh and it's not thread-jacking, the OP didn't search and hasn't responded to his own thread, so we're just having a random discussion about tires. Jack away!

Originally Posted by calebbo
Dont hate my tires still have tread on them. Working minimum wage and going to high school it takes awhile to save up! :P
I guess for a road warrior this makes sense, you can get by running them down to nothing. I generally sell my tires once they get down to about 50% tread, I can't stand bald tires off-road or in the winter for that matter. Usually can pay for half my new set of tires by selling the old ones, so I actually come out ahead.

Yeah high school must be rough, having your room and board paid for by your parents. Believe me nothing gets cheaper after high school. Hey at least you have a job!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
You know, I thought this until I got them. All the reviews I read were positive so I took the bait. I think the sidewalls look super mean and really compliment the tread, I've really gotten used to how they look. I guess it helps that I get tons of compliments on them when people see my rig.

Oh and it's not thread-jacking, the OP didn't search and hasn't responded to his own thread, so we're just having a random discussion about tires. Jack away!
It is hard to find an MT with a bad review really. Even the Kumho MT get's good reviews...and it is made by Kumho (my daily driver is Korean, so I guess I shouldn't talk too much crap).

Honestly I have spent the last week trying to be talked out of TrXus MT's. I had them for 1 year with my Xterra (before I sold it) and liked them, they are inexpensive (for an MT), and the few reviews you can find seem to be good...but they are sold by a small company (InterCo Tire) who has them manufactured in China, and they are very, very hard to keep balanced which makes me nervous.

TrXus MT, BFG MT, Firestone MT and Wrangler MTR's are all on my short list (probably in that order). Really it sounds like you can't go wrong with any of them...so it will probably come down to who can cut me the best deal on 5. "List" prices vary from $190 to $230 each in a 235/85.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was trying to say I need more hours! I can't wait for college, and you're right it's cheap I'm not complaining :P and I have school paid off for so I'm good there (thank you scholarships) so I guess I'll be getting tires and stuff after I come back from Boot Camp :P don't worry I'll be doing so much at once it's going to be a drastic change. Baby projects right now

Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by shaggy52282
It is hard to find an MT with a bad review really. Even the Kumho MT get's good reviews...and it is made by Kumho (my daily driver is Korean, so I guess I shouldn't talk too much crap).

Honestly I have spent the last week trying to be talked out of TrXus MT's. I had them for 1 year with my Xterra (before I sold it) and liked them, they are inexpensive (for an MT), and the few reviews you can find seem to be good...but they are sold by a small company (InterCo Tire) who has them manufactured in China, and they are very, very hard to keep balanced which makes me nervous.

TrXus MT, BFG MT, Firestone MT and Wrangler MTR's are all on my short list (probably in that order). Really it sounds like you can't go wrong with any of them...so it will probably come down to who can cut me the best deal on 5. "List" prices vary from $190 to $230 each in a 235/85.
Yeah pretty much any M/T will be fun off-road, hence the good reviews. I recommend looking at tirerack.com for user surveys of different tires. They rate all sorts of categories such as treadwear, noise, wet braking, ice traction, snow traction, etc. etc.

My criteria came down to a tire that would have excellent snow and ice traction despite being a mud tire (I spend half my year in winter) and preferably not make too much noise. Reading on tirerack and around the internet, I narrowed it down to the two I mentioned. Seems like I paid a grand for my 5 BFGs, a bit spendy but I'm happy with them.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench

What about the Treadwright Wardens? Those are basically BFGs right? And online even on the jeep forums I hear nothing but good about them and the mud dogs which are also Treadwright.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Winching

Treadwright Wardens:

Those were pretty much unstoppable. Put 5000 off-road and winter miles on them and they still looked new. Sometimes had to use the momentum of the truck to get through really sticky spots. But yeah, they are basically BFGs, especially if you have them put on BFG carcasses like I did.

The Guard Dogs are also crazy cool tires, amazing in deep snow. My friend had them on his Wagoneer and it would go through snow at least as deep as the frame.

If you go 235/85-R16s your Treadwright selection is a bit more limited, but you still have a choice of crawler or generic all-terrain. Saw some crawlers that someone on the forum installed, they looked good.

Yeah I'd run Treadwrights again in a heartbeat, I was just being a bit compulsive this last time and not wanting to gamble on how their crawler would do on ice. But their Wardens were fine for winter so I can't remember why I hesitated. Probably just being vain...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 265/75r16 Wardens on BFG carcasses. They look identical to BFG ATs. Great tires and my second set of Treadwrights.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Winching

Pics?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench

I hate flipping through threads so I'll just ask. How does the 265/75/16 fit and affect drivability? I really want the wardens so I might just get the 245s.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I am seriously considering Treadwright Crawlers (looks pretty similar to a KM1, or Firestone MT). My only concern would be sidewalls (we have a lot of rocks in CO). Do you guys happen to know what carcasses they use for their MT's? I sent them an email to ask, but was curious if you might be familiar off the top of your head.

Quick Reply: Largest size tire for LR Discovery1